Chances of Getting Into Grad School with a B-

In summary, JohnOffhand's Physics GPA is a 3.273, which is good, but his other grades are not as good, and he does not have much research experience or an internship, so his chances of getting in may be limited. However, if he applies to only or all 20 of the highest ranked schools in the country, he has a good chance of getting in.
Vitani1
I got a B- in two physics courses. I'm a senior and it is my last semester. What do you think my chances are of getting in? One of these was a problem solving course from a few years ago and I got a B- in quantum because I didn't study angular momentum operators (The last thing we did in class) and this was placed on the final. I had an 88% and after the final I lost a whopping 17% bringing me from an A to a B-.

Thanks,

John

Physics news on Phys.org
Offhand, two B- alone does not seem too bad. A lot depends on your other grades. If your other grades are all B, then your GPA is below B in your physics courses are below 3.0 and this may be a problem in some grad schools. If the other grades are near A, then your GPA could be well above 3.0. A lot depends on GRE scores (if any, considering COVID), research (if any), and letters of recommendation.

You may want to apply to some schools you regard as "safety", and where you expect a > 50% chance of getting in. After going on Gradschoolshopper, I noted some schools require only a 2.75 GPA. Some good schools mention a "holistic" treatment, where no application is automatically excluded, independent of GPA, ore GRE. Quantum is considered a core (important) course, so if you could have a choice, it would probably been better to get a B- on an elective. Unless you apply to only (or all 20) schools in the top 20 highest ranked in the country, you would likely get in somewhere.

My physics GPA is a 3.273 apparently. I also have research experience and an internship and an applied BS degree in mathematics (3.6 GPA) which was noted on my graduate applications.

Vitani1 said:
I'm a senior and it is my last semester. What do you think my chances are of getting in?

You've already applied, right? (The deadlines have pretty much passed) What is to be gained by fretting now?

Assessing probabilities of admission to specific grad schools is something I do for students I mentor, but a lot of info is needed to do it: Ranking of PhD program and BS program. Specific research area(s) targeted at PhD program. Quality of rec letters. GRE scores. Research record. Publication record. Performance in practice interviews. GPA is a small part of it. But a given GPA going from a top 20 BS program to a PhD program ranked around 80 is a much different deal than the same GPA going from a BS program ranked around 80 to a top 20 PhD program.

The absence of PGRE scores this year is a wild card. I expect different PhD programs to deal with it differently. Some will weigh GPAs much more heavily than years when they have PGRE scores. Some will weigh research and/or recommendations more heavily.

But, as mentioned above, the ship has sailed on this year's applications. If you get rejected by all the schools you applied to, you aimed too high. Some students who are able to ace the PGRE when it's offered again may improve their odds next year, assuming most PhD programs require/accept it again. But you really don't have any actionable decisions to make until you know the results of your applications.

I've already had two students I mentor hear back from a top 20 Ivy League school. One had a very positive interview, and one was rejected. The student that was rejected was aiming a bit high with this application. The same school is one of the lower tier schools on the list of the student who had the promising interview.

• Informative
Likes berkeman

1. What are the chances of getting into grad school with a B-?

The chances of getting into grad school with a B- are not set in stone and can vary depending on the specific program and university. However, generally speaking, a B- may be considered a lower grade for graduate school admissions and could potentially lower your chances of acceptance.

2. Will having a B- in one course affect my overall chances of getting into grad school?

It depends on the overall strength of your application. While a B- in one course may not significantly impact your chances, it could raise red flags if it is a core course for your intended graduate program or if your overall GPA is not competitive.

3. Can I still get into grad school if I have a B- in a prerequisite course?

It is possible to get into grad school with a B- in a prerequisite course, but it may depend on the specific program and university. Some programs may require a minimum grade of B or higher in all prerequisite courses, so it is important to research the requirements of the programs you are interested in.

4. Will having a B- in my major courses hurt my chances of getting into grad school?

Again, this will depend on the overall strength of your application. If you have a strong GPA and other impressive qualifications, a B- in a few major courses may not significantly impact your chances. However, if your overall GPA is low or if you have multiple B- grades in your major courses, it could hurt your chances of acceptance.

5. Can I make up for a B- in my application for grad school?

Yes, you can make up for a B- in your application by highlighting other strengths and accomplishments. This could include relevant work experience, research projects, letters of recommendation, or a strong personal statement. It is important to showcase your overall potential and dedication to your field of study.