1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Grad School

1. Nov 28, 2007 #1

Gold Member

I'm looking into suggestions for physics grad school based on specialization (every search online just does it by state, which is secondary priority to me)

my interests are: bose-einstein condensates, optics (maybe quantum optics), particle physics.

I've heard U of Colorado is good for BEC, and Oklahoma and Texas are good for quantum optics.

Or is there an online resource that searches grad schools by branch of physics?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2007 #2
  4. Nov 28, 2007 #3

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Unfortunately, that site simply lists results alphabetically, and doesn't seem to do any useful ranking...although, I suppose you could cross-reference with some of the ranking sites...

I think this site might be useful, too:

5. Nov 28, 2007 #4
    I have toured the department at WSU twice with my high school and I know Professor Peter Engals there has produced BEC and he seems like a nice guy. This might be a good backup for you to think about, although I must say I'm not sure if WSU is too great as far as grad school, it may be but I don't know. They also have a new schock physics building where they do a lot of pretty cool research.

For more information: http://www.physics.wsu.edu/
  6. Nov 28, 2007 #5
    Arizona and Rochester are both great schools for optics, they have separate programs in the optical sciences, so their physics programs also have strong research programs in optics. You could apply in optical science or physics.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?