1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Grad School

  1. Aug 17, 2010 #1

    I am a undergraduate Physics student and I heard that if you pursue a graduate degree in Physics for grad school (not undergraduate) the department pays your tuition for you?
    Is this true? I have 5 friends that they have finished undergraduate physics (payed their OWN tuition) but now they are pursuing the masters and phd advanced degree at my same college and they get their tuition paid for and they get money and stuff, but they have to TA undergraduate classes in exchange. Is this true???
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2010 #2


    User Avatar
    Homework Helper

    Generally yes.

    The way it typically works is that, if you're working with a specific professor, that professor may give you the opportunity to be employed as an RA (research assistant). Basically you get paid to do research. In this case, that professor's grant money will be used to pay your tuition and your stipend (salary, basically). If you're not working with a particular professor, or if he/she doesn't have the money available to employ you as an RA, you can be employed by the department as a TA, and in return, your tuition will be waived and you'll receive a stipend.

    Some students receive fellowships or grants, which basically fund their studies (tuition + stipend) without requiring them to work as a TA or RA.

    Obviously, the details depend on the university, but if you go to physics grad school (in the US), you can almost certainly expect that you will not have to seek out external sources of funding (like an off-campus job or a third-party scholarship).
  4. Aug 17, 2010 #3
    wow thank you so much for telling me this in detail. I appreciate it very much... did you go to graduate school as a physics student? and are telling me from first hand experience?
  5. Aug 17, 2010 #4
    Generally yes..
  6. Aug 17, 2010 #5
    For Ph.D. programs, generally yes. You have to pay tuition but there is invariably a department stipend which pays you as either a TA or RA.
  7. Aug 17, 2010 #6


    User Avatar
    Homework Helper

    Yep, I'm currently a (beginning-of-the-)third-year grad student in physics.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Similar Threads - Grad School Date
Schools Advice on Nuclear Engineering course in MEPhI, Russia Mar 2, 2018
Schools How to make a list of grad schools? Feb 28, 2018
Studying How to allocate time/how to prep for grad school Jan 14, 2018
Other Need some advice about grad school applications Dec 19, 2017
Admissions Fall Grades and grad schools Dec 13, 2017