1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Grade 11 high school physics question

1. Jun 5, 2014 #1
    Find the acceleration of the system

Ff= u(Fn)
    Fnet=ma

IMG_1389.jpg

I would just like to know if the way that I solved this problem is correct.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2014 #2

Nathanael

Homework Helper

Yes, if you estimate g to be [itex]10\frac{m}{s^2}[/itex] instead of [itex]9.8\frac{m}{s^2}[/itex] then this is correct.

(Assuming there's no friction between the 20N weight and the side)

EDIT:
    It kind of looks like you said the 5N weight was a part of the frictional force, which isn't true.

At any rate, your answer is correct.

4. Jun 6, 2014 #3

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Yes, the second line of working is wrong---for two reasons. The only friction force here is the 4N.

An equals sign means exactly that, viz, "equals". You have misused it on that line.

Apart from those matters, it looks good! :smile:

5. Jun 6, 2014 #4
    You wrote 10 x 0.4 = 4+5 which is not correct. As a teacher I do take points away from my students when they do that even if they get the correct equation at the end. Always make sure that every equation you write on the paper is correct.

Tip: Don't just write down the steps you took when using the calculator. That doesn't work.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted