Grade 11 Physics: Spring Constant & Elevator Acceleration Problem

In summary, when a 5.00Kg mass is attached to a spring attached to the ceiling of an elevator, it descends a distance of 25.5 cm. The spring constant of the spring is 192 N/m. When the elevator is accelerating upwards at a rate of 3.50 m/s2, the spring will stretch further due to the additional force created by the acceleration. This can be calculated by setting the total force equal to the equation for how the spring reacts to a force. The total force is equal to the mass of the object (5.00Kg) multiplied by the sum of the acceleration due to gravity (9.81m/s2) and the acceleration of the elevator (3.50
Xtremeownage
Suppose a spring is attached vertically to the ceiling of an elevator. When a 5.00Kg mass is attached to the spring, it descends a distance of 25.5 cm.

a) what is the spring constant of the spring?

I found out that it was 192 N/m, so my problem is with part B!

b) how far would the spring stretch if the elevator were accelerating up at a rate of 3.50 m/s2?

I just want to know what I should do, because I don't know! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
so the work I did in order to determine the spring constant is as follows:

F=KX

K=F/X=mg/x=(5.00kg)(9.81m/s2)/0.255m=192N/m

I don't understand part b though!

The spring is now counteracting gravity as well as the acceleration of the elevator away from the mass.So the total force is

[itex]
F_{total} = m(g + a_{elevator})
[/itex]
set this equal to the equation of how the spring reacts to a force
[itex]
F_{total} = KX
[/itex]

and you'll have your distance

thanks, but for the Ftotal, wouldn't it be equal to m(g-aelevator) since it is going opposed to it?

np man, happy to help!

since the elevator is going up and away from the mass it will additionally stretch the spring

It's one of those things that you have to work your head around. If you are in an elevator and it goes up you are heavier as it accelerates.

As you go down in an elevator you are lighter (you feel your stomach go up a little).

So if the elevator was going down the acceleration would be negative.

alright, I understand! Thanks for the help!

1. What topics are covered in Grade 11 Physics?

Grade 11 Physics typically covers topics such as kinematics, dynamics, energy, waves, electricity, and magnetism.

2. What skills are necessary for success in Grade 11 Physics?

Some important skills for success in Grade 11 Physics include a strong understanding of algebra and trigonometry, critical thinking and problem-solving abilities, and good mathematical and scientific reasoning skills.

3. What are some common misconceptions about Grade 11 Physics?

One common misconception is that physics is only about memorizing equations and formulas, when in fact it involves understanding concepts and applying them to real-world situations. Another misconception is that physics is only for "geniuses" or those who are naturally good at math or science, when in reality anyone can learn and excel in physics with effort and practice.

4. How can I improve my understanding of Grade 11 Physics?

One way to improve your understanding of Grade 11 Physics is to actively engage with the material by practicing problems and seeking help when needed. Other helpful strategies include breaking down complex concepts into smaller, more manageable parts, and making connections between different topics and real-world examples.

5. What career paths can Grade 11 Physics lead to?

Grade 11 Physics can lead to a variety of career paths, such as engineering, medicine, research, education, and many more. The problem-solving and analytical skills gained from studying physics can also be applied to a wide range of fields, making it a valuable subject for many career options.