Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Grade 11 Physics Help

1. Oct 27, 2004 #1
    I have a few questions I've been having troubles with, and I was hoping someone could help me out...
    1) A machine does 4000 J of work in accelerating a 20 kg object, intially at rest, at 3.0 m/s2 for 5.0s determine
    a) The efficiency of the machine
    b) The power output of the machine

2)A block and tackle is used to raise a 100kg load. If the maximum applied force is 220N, how many strands of rope must support the moveable block?

3)A wrench is used to turn a bolt of 6.0mm diameter. The centre of the bolt head is 0.2m from the applied force.
    a) what is the IMA of this machine?
    b) If the efficiency is 50%, what is the AMA of the machine?

4) A ramp is 12m in length and has a grade of 25%
    a)If friction is neglected, what force is required to push a 120-kg box up the ramp?
    b) If the actual force required is 490 N, determine the efficiency of the ramp.

If someone could help me it would be awesome!
    Nikki196 :wink:
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2004 #2

Well I did this in 7th grade, what do you know so far about these problems? We wouldn't want to do your homework for you, would we?
  4. Oct 28, 2004 #3

IMA = DE/DR
    where DE equals the effort distance and DR equals the resistance distance.

Properties of an ideal machine, which does not exist in reality:
    1. It is frictionless.
    2. Its actual mechanical advantage is equal to its ideal mechanical advantage.
    3. Its mechanical efficiency is 100%

Power is work exerted over time.
  5. Oct 28, 2004 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?