Grade 11 Physics Question?

In summary: In this case, the applied force is the force that is pushing the book and the coin is being accelerated by this force.
utube9195

Homework Statement

An object experiences a friction force, Ff, of 6.6 N and a normal force, Fn, of 30.0 N.

a) What is the coefficient of friction, μ?
b) Is the object moving? How do you know?

Homework Equations

μ = Ff / Fn

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand how to get the answer for a) which is 0.22:
μ = Ff / Fn
μ = 6.6 / 30.0

As for b) though, I don't know if I'm overthinking it or something, but I think there aren't enough given variables to answer the question. The textbook points out that the question is K/U (in other words, it should be easy) but I can't figure it out.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
Can there be friction if something is not moving? Explain.

utube9195 said:

Homework Statement

An object experiences a friction force, Ff, of 6.6 N and a normal force, Fn, of 30.0 N.

a) What is the coefficient of friction, μ?
b) Is the object moving? How do you know?

Homework Equations

μ = Ff / Fn

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand how to get the answer for a) which is 0.22:
μ = Ff / Fn
μ = 6.6 / 30.0

As for b) though, I don't know if I'm overthinking it or something, but I think there aren't enough given variables to answer the question. The textbook points out that the question is K/U (in other words, it should be easy) but I can't figure it out.

Thanks in advance.
There is not enough information to answer either part a or part b. If Ff/Fn does not exceed the coefficient of static friction, then the body is not moving, and you can't determine what the coefficient of static friction or the coefficient of kinetic friction is. All you know is that the coefficient of static friction is greater than 0.22.

If the body is moving, then 0.22 is the coefficient of kinetic friction.

Chet

Simon Bridge said:
Welcome to PF;
Can there be friction if something is not moving? Explain.

Well, I know that friction always opposes an applied force to an object, but if the applied force is not strong enough, the object won't move, and static friction hasn't been overcome.

If the applied force is stronger than the static friction, the object starts to move, and the object experiences kinetic friction instead.

So, to answer your question, there can be friction if something is not moving.

utube9195 said:
Well, I know that friction always opposes an applied force to an object, but if the applied force is not strong enough, the object won't move, and static friction hasn't been overcome.

If the applied force is stronger than the static friction, the object starts to move, and the object experiences kinetic friction instead.

So, to answer your question, there can be friction if something is not moving.
Very nicely explained.

so the friction coefficient is at least 0.22 ... that's a valid answer for a).
Chet is wrong about b): if Ff/Fn < μ_static , the object might have been already moving.

Carefully worded, Friction always opposes an impending slide along the surface.

utube9195 said:
This is not always the case.
Imagine you have a book laying flat on the table and a coin on top of the book.
If you push the book it will slide on the table and the coin will move with the book (at least up to some maximum acceleration)
What force will accelerate the coin? What is the direction of this force? What is the "applied force" in this case?

lightgrav said:
so the friction coefficient is at least 0.22 ... that's a valid answer for a).
Chet is wrong about b): if Ff/Fn < μ_static , the object might have been already moving.
I should have worded it a little better. If the body is not moving, Ff/Fn has to be less than or equal to the coefficient of static friction. If the body is moving, then Ff/Fn is equal to the coefficient of kinetic friction. Since the input information does not tell you whether the body is moving or not, you can't determine the answer for part a.

Last edited:
nasu said:
This is not always the case.
Imagine you have a book laying flat on the table and a coin on top of the book.
If you push the book it will slide on the table and the coin will move with the book (at least up to some maximum acceleration)
What force will accelerate the coin? What is the direction of this force? What is the "applied force" in this case?
Yes. This is correct. Depending on the situation, the friction force can act in either direction.

1. What topics are covered in Grade 11 Physics?

The topics covered in Grade 11 Physics typically include kinematics, mechanics, energy, waves, electricity, and magnetism. Depending on the curriculum, other topics such as optics and thermodynamics may also be included.

2. What are some important equations in Grade 11 Physics?

Some important equations in Grade 11 Physics include Newton's laws of motion, the equations for kinetic and potential energy, Ohm's law, and the equations for calculating wave properties such as frequency and wavelength.

3. How can I prepare for Grade 11 Physics?

To prepare for Grade 11 Physics, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly algebra and trigonometry. It is also helpful to review basic physics concepts from previous grades and to practice problem-solving skills.

4. What are some common misconceptions about Grade 11 Physics?

One common misconception about Grade 11 Physics is that it is solely about memorizing equations and formulas. In reality, understanding the principles and concepts behind the equations is more important for solving problems. Another misconception is that physics is only for those who are good at math, when in fact, anyone can learn and excel in physics with consistent practice and effort.

5. What careers can I pursue with a background in Grade 11 Physics?

A background in Grade 11 Physics can lead to a variety of careers in fields such as engineering, architecture, medicine, research, and education. Physics also provides a strong foundation for problem-solving and critical thinking skills, which are valuable in many other careers.