Grade 11 U Free fall question

In summary, the problem is about a skydiver who accidentally drops a camera out of the plane. The diver notices the mistake 3.0s later and dives out of the plane with a downward velocity of 10.0 m/s. The camera experiences free fall (9.8 m/s^2), but the sky diver accelerates downwards at 8.0 m/s^2. The question is how far does the camera fall before the sky diver is able to catch it
oh, we need to see what is the displacement given the time, as it is the same for both!

Physics news on Phys.org
Exactly, this was your ultimate goal from the start. Where they intersect will be where they have the same displacement at a given time, which we had to solve for using the quadratic formula. So:
Vaz17 said:
A skydiver accidentally drops a camera out of the plane. The diver notices the mistake 3.0s later and dives out of the plane with a downward velocity of 10.0 m/s. The camera experiences free fall(9.8 m/s^2), but the sky diver accelerates downwards at 8.0m/s^2.

Using:
[tex]

y=v_{i}t+ \frac{1}{2}at^{2}

[/tex]

Tell me what you get.

3018.4 m

Good. Now that you have an answer, do you understand the steps we've went through? Can you duplicate this for another question? Having the right answer is good, but pointless if you don't understand how you got it. Revise your work and understand it, you'll come off top of your class if you're able to do this.
Fragment.

believe me, after your step by step help, and me watching my mistakes and learning from them, i know what to look for in future similar questions.

thank you

You're very welcome, if you have any more problems that you need help, or just to double check, post them in this thread and I'll gladly help you along.

Fragment

will do, thanks!