Calculating Average Acceleration in an Acceleration Test

In summary, the conversation is about a homework problem involving a car's acceleration in an acceleration test. The car passes two markers 0.30 km apart with different velocities and the task is to calculate the car's average acceleration using the given information. The conversation also includes a discussion on the correct equation to use, with one participant realizing a mistake in their calculations. The solution is achieved by converting the given distance from kilometers to meters.
CraZyFanAtiC
Hey, guys just joined PF, was hoping you could help with this questions and in turn maybe i can return the favour (with the little physics knowledge I have).

Homework Statement

In a acceleration test, 2 markers are placed 0.30 km apart. The first car passed the first marked with a velocity of 5.0 m/s [E], the second passed the marker with a velocity of 33.0 m/s [E]. Calculate the Cars average acceleration.

Homework Equations

v1 = 5.0 m/s [E]
v2 = 33 m/s [E]
Delta D = 0.30 km
Aav = ?

The kinematics that i am using is Vf² = Vi² + 2aav(d)

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem i am having is rewriting the equation.
I need to rewrite this for aav.

Vf² - Vi² = Vi² + 2aav(d)

vf² - vi²/2(d) = aav

This is what i have so far, but it must be wrong i just don't see how. When i plug in the numbers..

1089 - 25/2(0.3) = aav
1064/0.6 = aav
aav = 1773.3

this can't be right can anyone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi CraZyFanAtic, welcome to PF.
Convert the distance from kilometer to meter.

rl.bhat said:
Hi CraZyFanAtic, welcome to PF.
Convert the distance from kilometer to meter.

O, wow do i feel stupid. First time I've seen a question like that just didn't think about it, thanks alot. Saved me a lot of time.

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the cause of that motion. It involves analyzing the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object over time.

2. What topics are typically covered in Grade 11 U Kinematics?

In Grade 11 U Kinematics, students typically learn about displacement, velocity, acceleration, motion graphs, and the equations of motion. They also learn about vector quantities and how to analyze motion in two dimensions.

3. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measure of both speed and direction. This means that an object can have a high speed but a low velocity if it is moving in a circular path, for example.

4. How are motion graphs used in kinematics?

Motion graphs, such as position-time and velocity-time graphs, are used to visually represent the motion of an object over time. They can help us understand the relationship between position, velocity, and acceleration and make predictions about an object's motion.

5. How can we apply kinematics in real-life situations?

Kinematics is used in many real-life situations, such as calculating the speed of a car, predicting the trajectory of a ball, and understanding the motion of planets and satellites. It is also important in the design of machines and vehicles, such as airplanes and roller coasters.