Grade 12 Dynamics Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of using Newton's second law to determine the force applied by the second person when two people kick a soccer ball simultaneously. The first person's force, which is known in magnitude and direction, is used to find the resulting acceleration of the ball. The second person's force is then determined by using vector addition and trigonometric functions to find the missing components.
SteveyBee
Two people kick a soccer ball at the same time. One person with a force of 100 N [N 25 degrees W]. The result is the ball moving 200m/s^2 [S 15 degrees W]. With what force did the second person kick the ball.

I'm not sure how to do this question, any help is appreciated greatly.

Thanks in Advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey there SteveyBee :smile: I would start by drawing a force diagram on the soccer ball. You know the magnitude and direction of one force. You don't know the magnitude and direction of the other force, so just draw it wherever you think it should go (doesn't really matter where). You know that the vector sum of these two forces will give the total force Ftot. By Newton's second law, you should be able to relate Ftot to the acceleration of the ball.

What's the mass of the ball? What's the net force on the ball?

Thanks for the replies.

I understand the first free body diagram, but I don't have a clue about what to find first.
Also is there an applied force on the ball while it is in the air?

you must take the two vectors given, your first kicker vector and your resultant vector, break that down into your x,y components using Sin and Cos. Then subtract the kickers vector from the resultant vector then you will be left with 2 dimensions for a right triangle, then use pythagoreon theorm to solve for the missing side, and then sin cos and tan functions to find the angle

What is a "Grade 12 Dynamics Problem"?

A "Grade 12 Dynamics Problem" is a physics problem that involves analyzing the motion of objects and their interactions with forces. It is typically a more complex problem that requires knowledge of advanced concepts and equations in the field of dynamics.

What topics are usually covered in a "Grade 12 Dynamics Problem"?

Some common topics that may be covered in a "Grade 12 Dynamics Problem" include Newton's laws of motion, projectile motion, circular motion, and conservation of energy and momentum.

What skills are necessary to solve a "Grade 12 Dynamics Problem"?

To solve a "Grade 12 Dynamics Problem", one should have a strong understanding of basic physics concepts, such as vectors, forces, and motion. It is also important to have good problem-solving skills and be able to apply equations and principles to real-world scenarios.

What are some strategies for approaching a "Grade 12 Dynamics Problem"?

One helpful strategy is to first identify the known and unknown variables in the problem and then determine which equations or principles can be applied. It can also be useful to draw diagrams or make sketches to visualize the problem and break it down into smaller parts.

How can I improve my performance on "Grade 12 Dynamics Problems"?

To improve your performance on "Grade 12 Dynamics Problems", it is important to practice regularly and review key concepts and equations. It can also be helpful to work with a study group or seek assistance from a teacher or tutor if needed.