Grade 12 Physics: Banked Roads and Friction Analysis

In summary, the conversation discusses two problems related to Grade 12 physics. The first problem involves a car traveling on a curved road and finding the minimum angle the road needs to be banked at in order to prevent the car from sliding off the road, given the coefficient of maximum static friction and the typical speed. The second problem involves a road that is already banked at a certain angle and finding the maximum speed limit for dry and rainy conditions, given the coefficient of friction. To solve these problems, a free body diagram and the equations for net force, centripetal acceleration, and the relationship between centripetal acceleration and period are needed. The missing values, such as mass and velocity, can be left in symbolic form and may cancel
pinkyboo
Grade 12 physics help please!

Homework Statement

2. A car is traveling along the QEW. It leaves the highway on a turn that has a radius of 90.0m.
a. If the coefficient of maximum static friction between the tires and the road is 0.89, and typical speeds are 100km/h, what is the minimum angle the road needs to be banked at so the car doesn’t go sliding off the road?
b. If the coefficient of maximum static friction was reduced to 0.40 because of rain or an oil spill, what is the new minimum angle that the road should be banked at to avoid sliding off the road? 3. A road is banked at an angle of 12° and the radius of the curve is 75m. If the coefficient of friction between tires and dry concrete is 0.9 and it reduces to 0.6 in rain, what do you feel the posted speed limit should be?

Homework Equations

Fnet = mac

ac = mv2/r

ac = 4∏2r/T2

The Attempt at a Solution

for number 2, I just don't know. :(

for the third, I think I can use mv2/r, but I'm not sure how to solve without mass or velocity.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
PF prefers if you post one HW problem per thread.

You also must try to solve the problem before getting help.

Anytime you're working with multiple forces start in the usual way, with a free body diagram identifying all the forces acting. Decide what conditions must occur for the car not to slide sideways (in particular, the critical point where the car is just about to start sliding).

If you think that certain values are missing (like a mass or a velocity) just leave them in symbolic form. If it turns out that they're not required to solve the problem, eventually they'll cancel out as you work through the math. In #3 you're actually looking for a velocity, so no surprise there that it's "missing" :smile:

And as SteamKing says above, some effort on your part will be required before help with solving your problem can be given. We need to see your attempt so that we can know how to help you.

Last edited:

1. What are the main topics covered in Grade 12 physics?

Grade 12 physics typically covers topics such as mechanics, electricity and magnetism, waves and optics, and modern physics.

2. How can I improve my understanding of physics concepts?

To improve your understanding of physics concepts, it is important to practice problem solving and to review class notes and textbook materials regularly. You can also seek help from your teacher or a tutor if you need additional support.

3. What are some useful resources for Grade 12 physics help?

Some useful resources for Grade 12 physics help include textbooks, online tutorials and videos, practice problems and quizzes, and study groups with classmates.

4. How important is math in Grade 12 physics?

Math is essential in Grade 12 physics as it is the language used to describe and solve problems in physics. A strong understanding of algebra, trigonometry, and calculus is necessary for success in physics.

5. What are some common mistakes students make in Grade 12 physics?

Some common mistakes students make in Grade 12 physics include not fully understanding the concepts before attempting to solve problems, not showing all steps in their solutions, and not practicing enough with different types of problems.