Understanding Polarization: Exploring Grade 12 Physics Problems

In summary, when two Polaroids with their axes aligned are placed together, they will transmit 32% of nonpolarized light due to absorption. This is because each polaroid only lets through 80% of the light that has already been polarized by the other polaroid. This results in a total transmission of 32%.
moonpearl
Grade 12 physics problems :(

One question:

Because of absorption, a Polaroid will actually transmit 40% of nonpolarized light incident on it. Two such Polaroids with their axes aligned will transmit
a. 16%.
b. 24%.
c. 30%.
d. 32%.
e. 40%.

The answer is 32% and I have no cue why. My textbook doesn't say anything and since I am taking a conceptual physics course, I have no formulas to work with. Does anyone know why this is the answer?

Thanks,
LA

Physics news on Phys.org
An ideal polarizer will let 50% of the unpolarized light through.
These polarizers in the problem are not ideal, they absorb a fraction/percentage of the light they should let through. Can you find this fraction to be 0.8?

After that, since the light which went through the first polarizer is now linearly polarized in the direction of the second polarizer, the second polarizer should let all light through if it was ideal. But it again stops 80% if the light which is incident upon it.

Hi LA, understanding polarization can be a challenging concept in physics. In this case, the answer can be found by applying Malus' Law, which states that the intensity of light transmitted through two polarizing filters is equal to the intensity of the incident light times the cosine squared of the angle between the filters. In this problem, the angle between the two polarizing filters is 0 degrees (since their axes are aligned), so the cosine of 0 degrees is 1. Plugging this into the equation, we get: I = (40%)(1^2) = 40%. However, the question is asking for the percentage of nonpolarized light transmitted, so we need to multiply this by 100% - which gives us 40% x 100% = 40%. Therefore, the correct answer is 40% x 40% = 16%, which is option a. Hope this helps clarify the solution for you. Keep up the good work in your conceptual physics course!

1. What is the difference between kinematics and dynamics?

Kinematics is the study of motion without considering the forces that cause it, while dynamics is the study of motion and the forces that cause it.

2. How do I solve a projectile motion problem?

To solve a projectile motion problem, you need to break down the motion into horizontal and vertical components. Use the equations of motion and the given information to solve for the unknown variables.

3. How do I know which equation to use for a specific physics problem?

The equation you use will depend on the variables given in the problem. Make sure to identify the known and unknown variables and choose the appropriate equation that includes those variables.

4. Can I use the equations of motion for both linear and rotational motion problems?

No, the equations of motion are specific to linear motion and cannot be used for rotational motion problems. For rotational motion, you will need to use equations specific to rotational motion, such as torque and angular velocity.

5. What are the common sources of error in physics experiments?

Common sources of error in physics experiments include human error, faulty equipment, environmental factors, and systematic errors in the experiment design. It is important to identify and minimize these sources of error to ensure accurate results.