Grade 12 Physics: How hard is it?

In summary, the speaker is asking for advice about taking grade 12 physics after taking grade 11 physics in summer school. The speaker is worried about the difficulty of the course and its relevance to their desired university program. The expert recommends not worrying about the previous course being "easier" and encourages the speaker to take the course if they are interested in it.
Balsam
Hi, I was wondering how hard grade 12 physics might be for someone who took grade 11 physics in summer school. I'm afraid that I won't do well in grade 12(the class starts in a few days) because I did grade 11 physics in the summer and we rushed through a lot of units like energy and electricity and magnetism. My teacher also made the waves unit much easier than it would have been in regular school. Grade 12 physics is not required for the program I want to do in university, but it's reccomended and some classes may require it. Should I take it?

Physics news on Phys.org
I wouldn't worry too much about having come through a course that may have been "easier" from some points of view. At worst, that's going to mean that you'll have to catch up on some topics, but that's part of the learning process. It just might mean that you have to spend a little more time reviewing. I don't think that's a good reason not to take a course - particularly if you're interested in it.

I would say go for it.

Choppy said:
I wouldn't worry too much about having come through a course that may have been "easier" from some points of view. At worst, that's going to mean that you'll have to catch up on some topics, but that's part of the learning process. It just might mean that you have to spend a little more time reviewing. I don't think that's a good reason not to take a course - particularly if you're interested in it.

I would say go for it.
Thank you!

1. How much math is involved in Grade 12 Physics?

Grade 12 Physics requires a strong understanding of mathematical concepts such as algebra, trigonometry, and calculus. You will need to be able to solve equations and use mathematical formulas to solve problems. However, with consistent practice and dedication, even those who struggle with math can succeed in this course.

2. Do I need to have taken Grade 11 Physics to do well in Grade 12 Physics?

While it is not mandatory to have taken Grade 11 Physics, it is highly recommended. Grade 12 Physics builds upon the foundations established in Grade 11 and assumes you have a basic understanding of concepts such as motion, forces, and energy. If you have not taken Grade 11 Physics, you may need to put in extra effort to catch up on these concepts.

3. Is Grade 12 Physics all about memorization?

No, Grade 12 Physics is not just about memorizing facts and formulas. It is about understanding and applying concepts to solve problems. While there are some formulas that you will need to memorize, the majority of the course focuses on critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

4. How much lab work is involved in Grade 12 Physics?

Lab work is an essential component of Grade 12 Physics. You will have the opportunity to conduct experiments, collect data, and analyze results. This hands-on experience helps to solidify theoretical concepts and develop practical skills. The amount of lab work may vary depending on your school and teacher.

5. What career paths can Grade 12 Physics lead to?

Grade 12 Physics can lead to a variety of career paths, including engineering, medicine, research, and teaching. Physics is a fundamental science that provides a strong foundation for many fields. It also helps develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills that are valuable in any career.