Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Grade 12 Planes in Air question, help

1. Oct 3, 2005 #1
    Two planes fly from Toronto to Philadelphia (To. - Philly). Plane A flies via Pittsburgh whereas passengers on plane B have a direct flight. Pitts. is 350km due south of To. and 390km due West of Philly. The airspeed of both planes is 400km/h and a steady wind is blowing from the east at 60.0km/h.

a) what direction must the pilot take for the plane flying from To. to Pitts?

I drew a vector diagram with a line directly south, then a vector to the west connecting it to make a ninety degress angle. The hypoteneuse was the course required, so I found the angle between the hypoteneuse and vector going south using sin(angle) = 60.0km/h divided by 400.0km/h . I got a heading of 400 km/h (9° E of S) sound good?

b) How long will the entire flight take for plane A assuming a 0.50-h layover in Pittsburgh? Don't know how to account for airspeed

Please Help, then question c) How much time must the pilot of plane B wait before leaving Toronto if she is to arrive in Philly at the same time plane A arrives?

Thanks for your help
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted