1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Grade 12, Vector Addition

1. Sep 15, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A plane heads 20° north of east at 200 m/s. The wind blows 60° north of east at 50 m/s. What is the resultant velocity of the plane?

2. Relevant equations
    Δv= v2-v1 or Δv= v2+(-v1)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know you have to solve for the x and y, but I don't know how to do that. Then I know once you get your two answers, you use pythagorean theorem to get the final answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2011 #2

gb7nash

Homework Helper

First off, every vector in 2D has an x component and a y component. How do you find the x and y component for a given vector?

4. Sep 15, 2011 #3
    You use sinΘ or cosΘ, and then you times that number by the velocity.

5. Sep 15, 2011 #4

gb7nash

Homework Helper

Ok...so do it and show what the x and y components are of the plane and the wind.

6. Sep 15, 2011 #5
    Once you get what he says add the x components and y components vectorally.

7. Sep 15, 2011 #6
    So my total for x was 111 and for y it was 213. So then I used pythagorean theorem and got 240. I'm not sure if this is correct though. And then for my angle i got 62.5

8. Sep 15, 2011 #7

gb7nash

Homework Helper

You got your sin and cos mixed up. x = rcosΘ and y = rsinΘ. Besides that, do what you were doing.

Also, in the future, show your work. I'm lucky to have a calculator handy, so I can tell where you made your mistake, but it's easier to follow your work than trying to decipher what you did.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook