• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Grade 12, Vector Addition

• Thread starter jord12321
  • Start date

Homework Statement

A plane heads 20° north of east at 200 m/s. The wind blows 60° north of east at 50 m/s. What is the resultant velocity of the plane?

Homework Equations

Δv= v2-v1 or Δv= v2+(-v1)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know you have to solve for the x and y, but I don't know how to do that. Then I know once you get your two answers, you use pythagorean theorem to get the final answer.

Answers and Replies

gb7nash
Homework Helper
First off, every vector in 2D has an x component and a y component. How do you find the x and y component for a given vector?

You use sinΘ or cosΘ, and then you times that number by the velocity.

gb7nash
Homework Helper
You use sinΘ or cosΘ, and then you times that number by the velocity.
Ok...so do it and show what the x and y components are of the plane and the wind.

Once you get what he says add the x components and y components vectorally.

So my total for x was 111 and for y it was 213. So then I used pythagorean theorem and got 240. I'm not sure if this is correct though. And then for my angle i got 62.5

gb7nash
Homework Helper
So my total for x was 111 and for y it was 213. So then I used pythagorean theorem and got 240. I'm not sure if this is correct though. And then for my angle i got 62.5
You got your sin and cos mixed up. x = rcosΘ and y = rsinΘ. Besides that, do what you were doing.

Also, in the future, show your work. I'm lucky to have a calculator handy, so I can tell where you made your mistake, but it's easier to follow your work than trying to decipher what you did.