What is a Graded Algebra with Z_2 Grading?

• Thread starter precondition
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary: These are polynomials with only even or only odd exponents. Again, the subsets of polynomials with degree less than or equal to a given n are vector spaces but are not closed under multiplication. The entire set of polynomials is closed under multiplication and so is an algebra.In summary, a graded algebra is an algebraic structure where the elements are assigned a degree, which can be any set of numbers, not just natural numbers. A Z2-graded algebra is one where the degree is an element of Z2, and this grading can be used to divide the algebra into subsets. However, there is no unique way to grade an algebra, and in fact, every algebra can be graded in infinitely many ways.
precondition
Hello,
I think I have an idea of what graded algebra means but when people say it has Z_2 grading etc I'm puzzled. Could someone please help me out?

By 'Z' I mean integers and '_2' means mod 2.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Normally, when you think of a graded algebra, you imagine each nonzero element being assigned a natural number as its degree.

But there's no reason to restrict ourselves to using the natural numbers. A Z2-graded algebra is one where the degree is an element of Z2.

For example, C is a Z2-graded algebra over R. The "even" elements (degree 0) of C are the purely real numbers, and the "odd" elements (degree 1) of C are the purely imaginary numbers.

Exercise: check that this really is a grading. For example, i is homogenous, and in the equation i * i = -1 we see that the degrees match: the degree of i * i should be 1 + 1 = 0 (remember, they're elements of Z2), and the degree of -1 is, in fact, 0.

See Wikipedia for more info.

Last edited:
I see, thank you for that information.
The example I have here is tensor algebra which it says has Z_2 grading. So I guess Z_2 grading divides tensor algebra into T+ and T- where elements of T+ has even degrees(including 0) and elements of T- has odd degrees?

Now I'm thinking if any other grading would be possible? In other words grading is not unique? Is it? or it isn't?

p.s. I referred to wikipedia first but it didn't explain Z_2 grading :D

Last edited:
If you scroll down, the wiki page has a section on G-graded rings and algebras; that's where it discusses the general case.

Your interpretation of the grading on the tensor algebra sounds right. And indeed, there is no reason to think that there is a unique way of turning an algebra into a graded algebra.

The Z2 grading becomes particularly when you pass to related structures. For example, when you antisymmetrize the tensor algebra, you get a "commutative" superalgebra. The qualitative behavior of the odd and even terms is quite different in that case.

The obvious way to point out there is not necessarily such a thing as a unique grading is by noting that *every* algebraic gadget is graded in infinitely many ways - just pick any grading and then put everything in degree 0.

A "graded algebra", in general, is an algebra made up of a number of subsets (the "grades") such that each "grade" is a vector space under addition but not closed under multiplication. The most important example is the algebra of all polynomials. The set of all polynomials of degree less than or equal to a given n forms a vector space but is not closed under multiplication. The entire set of polynomials is closed under multiplication and so is an algebra.

A example of a graded algebra "with Z2 grading" might be the set of all polynomial with exponents in Z2.

1. What is Graded Algebra with Z_2 grading?

Graded algebra with Z_2 grading is a mathematical structure that extends the concept of algebra to include elements that are assigned a degree or grading. The Z_2 grading specifically refers to a binary grading, where elements are either even or odd. This grading system is useful for studying symmetry and in applications such as quantum mechanics.

2. How is Z_2 grading different from other grading systems?

Z_2 grading is different from other grading systems, such as Z grading or Q grading, because it only has two possible grades: even and odd. This allows for simpler calculations and easier identification of symmetry properties. In contrast, other grading systems may have an infinite number of possible grades.

3. What are some applications of Graded Algebra with Z_2 grading?

Graded algebra with Z_2 grading has various applications in mathematics and physics. In mathematics, it is used for studying symmetry in algebraic structures such as Lie algebras and superalgebras. In physics, it is used in quantum mechanics to study particles with spin. It is also used in topological quantum field theory and string theory.

4. How is Z_2 grading related to Z_2 symmetry?

Z_2 grading is closely related to Z_2 symmetry, also known as parity or reflection symmetry. This symmetry refers to the property of an object remaining unchanged after being reflected across a line or plane. Z_2 grading is used to study this type of symmetry in algebraic structures and physical systems.

5. What are some notable properties of Graded Algebra with Z_2 grading?

Graded algebra with Z_2 grading has several notable properties, including the fact that it is a graded commutative algebra, meaning that the order of multiplication does not change the result. It also has a natural grading operator that assigns degrees to elements, and it satisfies the graded Jacobi identity, a generalization of the familiar Jacobi identity in algebra.