Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graded commutative algebra

1. Feb 21, 2008 #1

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is there a good reference for commutative algebra of graded rings and modules?

I've only found little bits and pieces in other texts (e.g. Hartshorne's Algebraic Geometry), and I would like to avoid having to dive fully into the theory of modules over preadditive categories! (And I'd prefer not to have to guess at the right way to generalize definitions & theorems from ordinary commutative algebra)

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2008 #2
    Modules over preadditive categories? I don't see that in Hartshorne. Are you talking about sheaves of modules?

Anyway, I recommend Eisenbud's Commutative Algebra. I don't know what you specifically want to know about graded algebras, but I'm sure you can find something useful in that book.

4. Feb 21, 2008 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Modules over preadditive categories was a separate thought from the Hartshorne bit. I do have a text on that, but it never specializes any results specifically to graded rings. (It doesn't even do much specialization to ordinary rings!)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?