Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graded Group, wait what?

1. Feb 12, 2013 #1
    What exactly is a graded group, Is it just the direct decomp. of the group, or space? is it a way of breaking a group/space into its generators? how do these entities work? Help, please!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2013 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I think the easiest thing is if you know first what a graded ring is. It is easier because it has a very natural example. A graded ring is just a ring R which we can decompose in groups as follows:

[tex]R=R_0\oplus R_1 \oplus R_2 \oplus ...[/tex]

Furthermore, we demands that [itex]R_sR_t\subseteq R_{s+t}[/itex].

The idea of a graded ring is to generalize one very important example, namely the polynomial ring.

Lets take [itex]R=k[X][/itex]. We can now define [itex]R_s=\{\alpha k^s~\vert~\alpha \in k\}[/itex]. So for example, [itex]2\in R_0[/itex], [itex]3X^3\in R_3[/itex] and [itex]3X+X^3[/itex] is not in any [itex]R_s[/itex]. You can easily check the axioms for a graded ring now. The idea behind a graded ring is to define a certain "degree". Indeed, we say that r has degree s if [itex]r\in R_s[/itex].

Quite similarly, we can do the same for the multivariate polynomial rings. For example [itex]k[X,Y][/itex]. We define the degree of [itex]X^sY^t[/itex] as [itex]s+t[/itex]. Then we can again split up the ring [itex]k[X,Y][/itex]. For example [itex]XY\in R_2[/itex], [itex]X^4\in R_4[/itex], [itex]XY+X^2\in R_2[/itex] and [itex]XY+X^4[/itex] in no [itex]R_s[/itex].

A graded group is a very similar concept. But the original motivation comes from studying the polynomial ring and generalizing it to graded rings.

4. Feb 13, 2013 #3
    OH My... Thank you so much! you just open a huge place of exploration to me, I didn't quite get what they were saying, in the books when they talked about the degree. I wasn't sure if it was talking about the field and how far to which a degree they extended it(but I guess it can be used in that way also, now), or the degree of a polynomial, thank you so much!!! I will find it much more easier to get through this sections in this book!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook