1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Grades and such

1. Dec 18, 2008 #1
    Hi all,

first time poster, been registered for a while though. so i just finished the 3 semester introductory courses that my school requires of all physics major (so i'm a sophomore). i am a bit worried though because in physics 3 the class average was 73 and even though my average was an 82 it is a non-curved class so i have a B-.

now, i have a strong desire to learn physics and to study it on the graduate level and to bury myself in it as deeply as possible. if i show an upward trend in my upper level classes can i set my sights as high as possible? i do research with a rather well known soft-matter physicist who wrote a leading textbook on the subject and attend a very decent private university. i mean it is introductory physics.

tell me like it is, i do not want to be deluding myself.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2008 #2
    You'll be fine with a B-. It's just an introductory class. You can definitely make up for it with later classes.
  4. Dec 19, 2008 #3
    A class average of 73 is just about where it should be, so why would you expect your grade to be scaled, i guess it depends why you did bad, do you have trouble with the concepts or did you make stupid error doing problems or do you feel the grades were unfair somehow or did you not put in full effort?

If you did your top level of work and got a B- i would say physics might not be in the cards for you at the graduate level. It only will get more difficult.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?