1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gradient and cross product

1. Jul 28, 2008 #1
    This is a general question. If we have a parametric equation r(u,v) and we take r_u and r_v, then take their cross product, does it give us the gradient vector? Or just a vector parallel to the gradient vector?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If r(u,v) has a gradient vector, then it's a scalar function. If r_x and r_y are vectors then r is a vector function. Which is it? I don't get you.

4. Jul 28, 2008 #3
    I just edited my original post; I meant r_u X r_v would give a vector orthogonal to the tangent plane. And since the gradient is also (r_u, r_v), is this vector the same vector?

5. Jul 28, 2008 #4

Defennder

Homework Helper

You mean to say the gradient of the surface described by a scalar function. Well there are two possible vectors for r_u X r_v, you might end up getting the inward pointing normal vector instead.

6. Jul 28, 2008 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If r is a scalar function, r_u and r_v are scalars. There is no cross product. If r(u,v) is a vector function then r_u x r_v is a normal to the surface defined by r(u,v), but then there is no gradient. Someone is confused here, and I don't think it's me.

7. Jul 29, 2008 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You are using the terminology incorrectly. A function has a gradient, not a surface.

If a surface is given by f(x,y,z)= constant, the grad f is perpendicular to the surface.
    If that surface is written as a position vector [itex]\vec{r}(u,v)[/itex], then [itex]\vec{r}_u\times\vec{r}_v[/itex] is also perpendicular to the surface. Your question is whether those two vector must also have the same length.

The answer is "no" because the gradient of f is a specific vector while different parameterizations of the surface f(x,y,z)= constant will give vectors of different length.

8. Jul 29, 2008 #7

Why would a surface not have a gradient?

And yes I am confused, which is why I'm asking questions, but I appreciate your input.

9. Jul 29, 2008 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The big confusion here is that you have two different representations of the surface, as a position vector [itex]\vec{r}(u,v)[/itex] and as a level surface by R(x,y,z)=C. Those two r's are completely different objects. You are confusing me (at least) by labeling them the same and using them interchangeably. As Halls said, if r and R do happen to represent the same surface, then, yes, the cross product and the gradient are parallel, not necessarily equal.

10. Jul 29, 2008 #9

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Because a surface isn't a function. Think of it this way: The unit 2-sphere is the locus of points in R3 that satisfy [itex]x^2+y^2+z^2-1=0[/itex]. Note well: [itex]2x^2+2y^2+2z^2-2=0[/itex] also describes the unit 2-sphere. The gradients of the functions [itex]x^2+y^2+z^2-1[/itex] and [itex]2x^2+2y^2+2z^2-2[/itex] are obviously different.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?