Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gradient and Curl

1. Apr 9, 2014 #1
    If the direction of the gradient of f in a point P is the direction of most/minor gradient, so a direction of the curl of f in a point P is the direction of most/minor curl too, correct?

Also, if the gradient of f in the direction t is given by equation: t, so the curl of f in the direction n is given by equation: ×f·n, correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2014 #2
    I don't understand what you mean by "minor".

The direction of the gradient is the direction where [itex]f[/itex] changes the fastest.

I believe the direction of the curl is the axis about which a sphere would spin, if it were fixed in place and torqued by [itex]\vec{f}[/itex].

Of course, the "vector" "curl" only works in 3D; it's really just a disguised bivector, which works in any 2+-dimensional space. So in general, the plane of the (bivector) curl would be the plane of rotation for that fixed sphere.

Interestingly, in 4+ dimensions, there could be multiple such planes simultaneously!

---

As to your second question, I believe you're correct: [itex](\nabla \times \vec{f}) \cdot \vec{n}[/itex] gives the amount of rotation for a fixed axis (fixed along [itex]\vec{n}[/itex]).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook