What is the relationship between gradient and surfaces in tensor calculus?

In summary, the gradient of a function is a vector that points in the direction of greatest increase.
Mathematicsresear
<Moderator's note: Moved from a homework forum.>

1. Homework Statement

Is the gradient perpendicular to all surfaces or just level surfaces?
For instance, if I I have a function f(x,y)=z where z is the dependent variable then that is a surface, wouldn't that be a level surface to a function of x,y,z so shouldn't the gradient also be perpendicular to the surface and level surface?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mathematicsresear said:
For instance, if I I have a function f(x,y)=z where z is the dependent variable then that is a surface, wouldn't that be a level surface to a function of x,y,z
Yes. In particular, it would be the level surface ##g(x,y,z) = 0##, where ##g(x,y,z) = f(x,y) - z##.

Mathematicsresear said:
so shouldn't the gradient also be perpendicular to the surface and level surface?
The gradient of ##g(x,y,z)## would be perpendicular to the surface. It is unclear what you mean by
Mathematicsresear said:
Is the gradient perpendicular to all surfaces or just level surfaces?

Orodruin said:
Yes. In particular, it would be the level surface ##g(x,y,z) = 0##, where ##g(x,y,z) = f(x,y) - z##.The gradient of ##g(x,y,z)## would be perpendicular to the surface. It is unclear what you mean by
I mean, would it also be perpendicular to the function g(x,y,z)?

You cannot just say "gradient". You must specify the gradient of what function.

If you take ## g(x,y,z)=## constant , the gradient of ## g(x,y,z) ## is perpendicular to the surface defined by ## g(x,y,z)=## constant. It works also for the case of the constant equal to zero, where ## g(x,y,z)=f(x,y)-z ##. ## \\ ## In particular, ## \nabla g(x,y,z) ## evaluated at ## (x_o, y_o, z_o) ## is perpendicular to the surface ## g(x,y,z)=g(x_o,y_o, z_o) ## at ## (x_o,y_o, z_o) ##.

Orodruin said:
You cannot just say "gradient". You must specify the gradient of what function.
Alright, I understand. The gradient if perpendicular to a surface, but it also is pointing in the direction of greatest increase, I'm not sure what the link between those to are. So is it both, pointing in the direction of greatest increase, and perpendicular to the surface?

The reason for greatest increase is because ## dg=\nabla g \cdot d \vec{s}=|\nabla g| \cos{\theta} |d \vec{s}| ##, where ## d \vec{s}=dx \, \hat{i}=dy \, \hat{j} +dz \, \hat{k} ##. (Use the definition of the gradient and work out the partial derivatives, etc. and compute ## \nabla g \cdot d \vec{s} ##). ## \\ ## The dot product picks up a ## \cos{\theta} ## factor that is equal to 1 if ## d \vec{s} ## is parallel to ## \nabla g ##. ## \\ ## We can also compute ## \frac{dg}{ds}=|\nabla g| \cos{\theta} ##.

Last edited:
If you have a function ##z = f(x,y)##, then the gradient is a 2-vector in (x,y) space. It lies in the (x,y) plane. It is perpendicular to the contour lines of z, which are curves in (x,y) space. But it makes no sense to talk about that vector being perpendicular to the surface.

With 2 variables you can envision this very easily as a surface, for instance a hillside, on the surface of the earth. We'll pretend the Earth is flat. Imagine you are standing on a hillside, and your (x,y) directions are East and North. Look around the hill from where you are standing. One direction goes most steeply up the hill, assuming you're not at a local maximum. That's the direction of the gradient of your hill surface. It is a compass direction, like "northeast".

Is "northeast" perpendicular to the hillside? Is that a meaningful question?

Likes Charles Link
@RPinPA makes a good point that was previously omitted/overlooked: ## \\ ## ## dz=(\frac{\partial{f}}{\partial{x}}) \, dx+(\frac{\partial{f}}{\partial{y}}) \, dy =\nabla^{(2)} f \cdot d \vec{r}=|\nabla^{(2)} f| \cos(\theta) | d \vec{r}| ##, where ## d \vec{r} =dx \, \hat{i}+ dy \, \hat{j} ##. ## \\ ## Here ## \nabla^{(2)} ## refers to a two-dimensional gradient. ## \\ ## The previous 3 dimensional gradient is perpendicular to the surface of the "hill" ## f(x,y)-z=0 ##. Meanwhile, my post 7 is correct in regards to the function ## g ##, but doesn't correctly answer the question in regards to height ## z ##.

Last edited:
Offtop for those who started to study tensor calculus

It is important to add that one should not be confused with two different objects
1) differential of a function which is a covector with components ##(\frac{\partial f}{\partial x^i})##
and
2) gradient of a function ##(\nabla f)^i=g^{ij} \frac{\partial f}{\partial x^j}## which is a vector
These are two different types of tensors but their components coincide in Cartesian frame as long as it exists. Here ##g^{ij}## is the inverse Gramian matrix

1. What is a gradient?

A gradient is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function with respect to its variables. It is typically represented by the symbol ∇ (del) and is used to calculate the direction and magnitude of change in a given function.

2. How is gradient calculated?

Gradient is calculated by taking the partial derivatives of a function with respect to each of its variables and arranging them in a vector. This vector represents the direction of steepest ascent or descent of the function at a given point.

3. What is the relationship between gradient and direction?

The gradient of a function represents the direction of steepest ascent or descent at a given point. It is perpendicular to the level curves of the function. This means that the gradient points in the direction of greatest increase while the opposite direction of the gradient points in the direction of greatest decrease.

4. How is gradient used in real-world applications?

Gradient is used in many fields, including physics, engineering, and finance. In physics, it is used to calculate the electric and magnetic fields. In engineering, it is used to optimize designs by finding the direction of greatest change. In finance, it is used to calculate risk and return on investments.

5. Can gradient be negative?

Yes, the gradient can be negative. A negative gradient indicates that the function is decreasing in that direction, while a positive gradient indicates that the function is increasing. The magnitude of the gradient indicates the steepness of the change in the function.