1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gradient Field/ Line integral

1. Nov 21, 2008 #1
    Greetings,
    I'm having trouble deciding what to do, and in what order for this question:

Suppose F = F( x, y, z ) is a gradient field with F = [tex]\nabla[/tex]f, S is a level surface of f, and C is a curve on S. What is the value of the line integral (over C) of F.dr ?

I think I'm a little confused since there are no values to work with... I'm assuming the level surface of f is referring to [tex]\nabla[/tex]f, meaning that S is a surface of the gradients?

Any help would be appreciated, I'm mighty confused. :)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

They mean that C is contained in a level surface of f. I.e. f(c) is constant for c in C. Dotting grad(f) with a direction vector tells you how fast f is changing in that direction, doesn't it?

4. Nov 21, 2008 #3
    Ok, someone just explained to me that it is 0, since it's a conservative force.

I was having trouble interpreting S being a level surface of a gradient field, I'm still trying to figure that part out.

5. Nov 21, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

S is NOT a level surface of the gradient, it's a level surface of f. That's what the question SAID. And there's an even easier reason to say that it's zero (and it's zero even if C isn't closed). What the dot of the gradient vector and the tangent vector to C?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?