1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gradient four-vector

1. Apr 7, 2013 #1
    Hi,
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The gradient ∇3 can be generalized for spacetime as:
    4 =(∇3 ,d/dct)=(d/dx,d/dy,d/dz,d/dct)
    Show that ∇4 is a four-vector.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I just have to write that :
    d/dx'=γ(d/dx-βd/dct)
    d/dy'=d/dy
    d/dz'=d/dz
    d/dct'=γ(d/dct-βd/dx)
    And
    4 =(d/dx,d/dy,d/dz,d/dct)=(∇3 ,d/dct) ..?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I don't understand the question. Of course it's a 4-vector. (a, b, c, d) is a 4-vector. Is there some wording missing?

4. Apr 7, 2013 #3
    Hi,
    No, this is the complete wording.

5. Apr 7, 2013 #4

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

What? The 4-gradient ##\nabla_{a}## is a derivative operator. It isn't a 4-vector of any kind. I don't think you are phrasing it correctly.

6. Apr 7, 2013 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

A vector operator is still a vector. You can add them, and multiply them by scalar values.

7. Apr 8, 2013 #6

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

An operator acting on a vector isn't an element of the vector space that the vector belongs to. ##\nabla_{a}## is certainly not a 4-vector just because it is linear (it isn't a linear functional - it's just linear). How are you claiming that ##\nabla_{a}\in \mathbb{R}^{4}## (I used ##\mathbb{R}^{4}## because the OP is working in minkowski space-time). That doesn't make any sense.

In fact what is true is that ##\frac{\partial }{\partial x}|_{p},\frac{\partial }{\partial y}|_{p},\frac{\partial }{\partial z}|_{p},\frac{\partial }{\partial t}|_{p}## are 4-vectors in ##\mathbb{R}^{4}##.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  8. Apr 8, 2013 #7

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

The OP is asking about 4-vectors. So saying that ∇ is a 4-vector is the same as saying that ∇ is an element of ##\mathbb{R}^4##. This is obviously nonsense.

Of course, we can add ∇ and multiply it by scalars. But that means that it is a vector in a vector space. But since the OP asks about 4-vectors, he's specifically asking about the vector space ##\mathbb{R}^4##. At least, that's how I interpret the question.

9. Apr 8, 2013 #8

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The OP is supposed to show that ##\nabla## transforms like a four-vector. In other words, he or she needs to show that it makes sense to say that ##\partial'_\mu = \Lambda_\mu{}^\nu \partial_\nu##.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  10. Apr 8, 2013 #9
    Actually, strictly speaking, shouldn't it transform like a 1-form?

11. Apr 8, 2013 #10

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

The coordinate vector fields ##\partial_{\mu}## do indeed transform like one-forms (hence why they are usually written with a lower index) but they are still 4-vectors as they form a basis for the tangent space when evaluated at each point. Also it doesn't make any sense to say ##\nabla## transforms like a 4-vector because it is not a vector in minkowski space-time, it is map on the ring of smooth functions on minkowski space-time. This bad notation is the kind you would see in Srednicki's QFT text.

12. Apr 8, 2013 #11

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I gather from various posts that, within relativity theory at least, "4-vector" has a more specific meaning than I was aware of. It's not clear to me whether this is a matter of definition or just common usage.

13. Apr 8, 2013 #12

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Ah, maybe you're right. I don't know any relativity. I just looked up 4-vector in wikipedia.

To avoid confusion, perhaps we should let the OP tell us how he defined "4-vector" in his course.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted