How Do You Calculate the Gradient at a Point in a Function?

• Thread starter tinkus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gradient
In summary, the homework statement is trying to find the gradient of a function at a point, but they don't understand how to set up the system of equations.
tinkus

Homework Statement

Consider the function f (x,y). if you start at the point (4,5) and move to the point (5,6) . the directional derivative is 2. Starting at the point (4,5) and moving toward the point (6,6)gives a directional derivative of 3.Find grad f at the point (4,5) .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really know how to go about this question. All I can do so far is find the unit vector.
PQ = (5-4) i + (6-5) j = i+j ; u = 1/sqrt 2 i + 1/sqrt 2 j

PR = (6-4 i +( 6-5) j = 2i+j ; u = 2/sqrt 5 i + 1/sqrt 5 j

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

If the gradient G=ai+bj, then the given information tells you PQ.G=2 and PR.G=3. That's two equations in two unknowns.

Use the equation [tex]f_u = \nabla f \cdot u[/tex]. You'll set yourself up with a system of equations, solve them, and you're done.

ok i set the system of equation and I'm getting nowhere.
grad f1 = .5i + .5j
grad f2 = .2981i + .1491j
how do i set up the system of equation.

Those aren't the right equations. E.g. PQ.G doesn't have i or j in it.

Last edited:

Write the gradient as [itex]f\vec{i}+ g\vec{j}[/itex].

1. What is the unit vector in the direction from (4, 5) to (5, 6)? What is the dot product of that vector with [itex]f\vec{i}+ g\vec{j}[/itex]? Set that equal to 2.

2. What is the unit vector in the direction from (4, 5) to (6, 6)? What is the dot product of that vector with [itex]f\vec{i}+ g\vec{j}[/itex]? Set that equal to 3.

You now have two equations to solve for f and g.

HallsofIvy said:
Write the gradient as [itex]f\vec{i}+ g\vec{j}[/itex].

1. What is the unit vector in the direction from (4, 5) to (5, 6)? What is the dot product of that vector with [itex]f\vec{i}+ g\vec{j}[/itex]? Set that equal to 2.

2. What is the unit vector in the direction from (4, 5) to (6, 6)? What is the dot product of that vector with [itex]f\vec{i}+ g\vec{j}[/itex]? Set that equal to 3.

You now have two equations to solve for f and g.

I got it now, thank you so much.

1. What is a gradient in math?

A gradient in math is a vector that shows the direction and magnitude of the steepest slope of a function at a specific point. It is also known as the slope or derivative of a function.

2. How do you solve a gradient math problem?

To solve a gradient math problem, you first need to find the partial derivatives of the function with respect to each variable. Then, you can plug in the values of the point you are interested in to find the gradient vector.

3. Why is the gradient important in math?

The gradient is important in math because it helps us understand the behavior of a function in a specific direction. It is also used in optimization problems to find the minimum or maximum of a function.

4. Can you have a negative gradient?

Yes, you can have a negative gradient. This means that the function is decreasing in the direction of the gradient vector.

5. How is the gradient related to the tangent line?

The gradient is related to the tangent line because the gradient vector is perpendicular to the tangent line at a specific point on a function. This means that the tangent line is parallel to the gradient vector.