1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gradient Of A Scalar

1. Jan 30, 2009 #1
    The temperature in an auditorium is given by T = x2 + y2 - z. A mosquito located at (1,1,2) in the auditorium desires to fly in such a direction that it will get warm as soon as possible. In what direction must it fly?

I know that the gradient of T will point to the direction where the temperature rises the fastest, but I'm not quite sure what to do with the point they give me (1,1,2).

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2009 #2

Defennder

Homework Helper

I believe the direction they are asking for is the initial direction from its starting location of (1,1,2). The gradient of the temperature function isn't a constant, so the direction at any one point in the auditorium may vary so giving you that initial position is a way of saying "Give me definite direction to fly towards."

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?