1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gradient of Surface

1. Jun 22, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the gradient vector of surface z=(x^2) * (y^3) at A(1,1).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am confused with book's solution.
    Books solution is :

f(x,y,z) = (x^2) * (y^3) - z

grad(f) = < 2x(y^2) , 3(y^2)(x^2) , -1 >
    at A(1,1) = <2 , 3 , -1>

The reason of my confusion is , since z=(x^2) * (y^3) , z looks like a function of x and y.
    if we create a function f(x,y,z) = (x^2) * (y^3) - z , then we see f(x,y,z)=0. So doesn't differentiation of f becomes an implicit differentiation ?

P.S. I know thinking as implicit doesn't effects the result here but z might have been 2z or z^2

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2012 #2
    When you head in the direction along the surface, you obey f(x,y,z)=0. When you head towards f(x,y,z)=1, you may do so orthogonally to the surface, which is the direction of the gradient. The gradient conceptually relies on the value of f(x,y,z) varying.

I guess I'm not sure on what your question about implicit differentiation is. Is it implicit? The gradient I beleive is an explicit derivative.

Ah, I think I see wehre the confusion lies.

f(x,y,z)=0 is an implicit function.

z=x^2*y^3 is an explicit function for the same surface.

But grad f is an explicit derivative (from the family of curves, f=c). We might've called it an implicit derivative if we had wanted to dig a partial out or something. But we never did, we wanted the explicit derivative.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  4. Jun 23, 2012 #3
    Since f(x,y,z)=c is a level surface , it's gradient is explicit i see. Thanks for the answer. The real problem is , our Calculus teacher said "You will not need level curves and level surfaces so i am not going to teach them" and passed out them completely. (Yeah pretty awkward.) So that's why i am failing on that. Doesn't even know what is a level surface or level curve. He just teached , that's the function , that's it's grad , and that's how you find the directional derivative. So I believe since we haven't told the level surface , level curve , tangent planes , normal vectors etc. he can't ask something like that one.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook