Calculating the Gradient of a Vector Function with a Power Function

• Thread starter sci-doo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gradient
In summary, the problem requires finding the gradient of a function f(x,y,z) which is defined as the absolute value of a vector r, raised to the power of -n. The solution involves taking partial derivatives and using the norm of r, not the absolute value. The correct answer is -nr/|r|^(n+2), where |r| represents the norm of r.
sci-doo

Homework Statement

Let f(x,y,z)= |r|-n where r = x[tex]\hat{i}[/tex] + y[tex]\hat{j}[/tex] + z[tex]\hat{k}[/tex]

Show that

[tex]\nabla[/tex] f = -nr / |r|n+2

2. The attempt at a solution
Ok, I don't care about the absolute value (yet at least).

I take partial derivatives of (xi + yj + zk)^-n and get

[tex]\nabla[/tex] f = i(-n)(xi + yj + zk)^(-n-1) + j(-n)(xi + yj + zk)^(-n-1) + k(-n)(xi + yj + zk)^(-n-1)

= -n(i + j + k)*(xi + yj + zk)^(-n-1)

But according to problem statement what I should get is:
-nr / |r|n+2 = -n (i x + j y + k z)^(-1 - n)

I don't understand where the (i + j + k) term goes! :eek:

Physics news on Phys.org
The | | does not refer to the absolute value, but the norm in this case. In fact xi+yj+zk is a vector and it does not make sense to compute the power of a vector.

So what you have to use is that [tex]|r|=\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}[/tex], then compute the partials.

1. What is the gradient of |xi + yj + zk|^-n?

The gradient of |xi + yj + zk|^-n is a vector function that represents the rate of change of the function |xi + yj + zk|^-n at a particular point. It is used to determine the direction in which the function increases the most rapidly.

2. How is the gradient of |xi + yj + zk|^-n calculated?

The gradient of |xi + yj + zk|^-n is calculated using partial derivatives. Each component of the vector is calculated by taking the partial derivative of the function with respect to that variable. The resulting vector is the gradient of the function.

3. What does the gradient of |xi + yj + zk|^-n represent?

The gradient of |xi + yj + zk|^-n represents the direction and magnitude of the steepest ascent of the function at a given point. It provides information about the rate of change of the function in different directions.

4. How is the gradient of |xi + yj + zk|^-n used in physics?

In physics, the gradient of |xi + yj + zk|^-n is used to calculate the force acting on a particle in a potential field. It is also used in determining the direction of electric and magnetic fields, as well as in fluid dynamics to determine the flow direction and velocity.

5. What is the significance of the exponent n in the function |xi + yj + zk|^-n?

The exponent n in the function |xi + yj + zk|^-n represents the degree of the function. It determines the shape of the function and how quickly it changes. A higher exponent leads to a steeper gradient, while a lower exponent leads to a flatter gradient.