1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gradient Vector Proof

1. Apr 26, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose that the function f: Rn --> R has first-order partial derivatives and that the point x in Rn is a local minimizer for f: Rn --> R, meaning that there is a positive number r such that
    f(x+h) > f(x) if dist(x,x+h) < r.
    Prove that Df(x)=0.

2. Relevant equations

Df(x)=(df/dx1,df/dx2,...,df/dxn)

3. The attempt at a solution

We know that the function has first-order partial derivatives, which makes finding the gradient vector possible. And the definition for local minimizer is already given in the problem. I just need to prove that all partial derivatives are equal to zero. But how does knowing the local minimizer help me figure out the gradient vector?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi bubblesewa! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Find the directional derivative of f along each coordinate axis (keeping al the other coordinates constant) :wink:

4. Apr 26, 2009 #3
    Is this about what my proof should look like then? And thanks for welcoming me btw.

Since x is an interior point of Rn, we can choose a positive number r such that the open ball Br(x) is contained in Rn. Fix an index i with 1 < i < n. Then, do I suppose that I have some function, let's say q(t). Where q(t) = f(x+th) for |t| < r. Then the point 0 is an extreme point of the function q: (-r,r) --> R, so q'(0) = (df/dxi)(x) = 0.

5. Apr 27, 2009 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi bubblesewa! :smile:

Yes, in principle that's right …

you define a line with that parameter t, and since, as you say, 0 is an extreme point of the line, the derivative along the line must be zero. :smile:

However, you haven't yet defined h so as to get the line that gives you ∂f/∂xi, have you? :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook