1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gradient vector task

1. Mar 16, 2007 #1
    "You are standing at the point (30, 20, 5) on a hill with the shape of the surface z=100exp((-x^2+3y^2)/701). In what direction should you proceed in order to climb most steeply?"

SInce the grad vector allegedly points in the most steep direction of the surface, I guess I'll have to compute that one. But I'm not sure if I'm suppoesd to compute the partials of all of x, y and z or only x and y in the gradient. How can I know that?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2007 #2
    Edit: z is a function of x and y.

4. Mar 16, 2007 #3
    the thing is, it depends on what kind of increase you want. obviously from the question, it implies the direction that z ("climb most steeply") increases most rapidly. so, take the derivatives with respect to z.

5. Mar 17, 2007 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, it doesn't. You are given that z is a function of x and y so take the gradient of z using the partial derivatives of z with respcect to x and y. (That may be what tim lou meant to say.)

It would make no sense to talk about taking partial derivatives of x and y- with respect to what other variables?

Why "allegedly"? And you surely, by "that one" mean the gradient of z don't you? So why was there any question?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?