1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gradient vector

1. Feb 20, 2007 #1
    I want to find the gradient vector of f(x,y,z)=2*sqrt(xyz) at the point ((3,-4,-3).

I find the partials and set in for the x-, y-, and z-values, and find the grad. vector (2, (1,5), 2). The right solution is (2, (-1,5), -2), so I have obviously made a mistake with the sqrt. How do I know whether it's + or -?

And another question: Have I used the chain rule correctly when I have calculated the gradient of f(x,y,z) at (-5,1,3) to be (160,-240,400)?
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2007 #2
    what did you get for your gradient??
  4. Feb 21, 2007 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Call your variables [itex]x_{i}, i=1,2,3[/tex]
    Then, [itex]f(x_{1},x_{2},x_{3})=2\sqrt{x_{1}x_{2}x_{3}}[/itex]
    And the partials are:
    [tex]\frac{\partial{f}}{\partial{x}_{i}}=\frac{2x_{j}x_{k}}{f}, i,j,k=1,2,3,j\neq{i}\neq{k},j\neq{k}[/tex]
    Mind your signs..
  5. Feb 21, 2007 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

?? You know whether it is + or - (- is correct here) because that's what you get when you do the arithmetic!

What did you get for the gradient vector of [itex]f(x,y,z)= 2\sqrt{xyz}[/itex]?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?