Explaining River Gradient & Velocity

In summary, according to the two respondents, the faster the water flows down a river, the steeper the gradient, and the more friction there is.
Doc G
Ok, this may sound a little basic but I can’t think of a way of explaining it other than common sense. I should also say that this is for a Geography assignment so not really physics but hope you guys can give me an insight.

I’m trying to explain why the steeper the gradient of a river, the faster the water flows.

I was thinking that it must be something to do with friction but then wondered whether an object on a ramp angled at 45 degrees in a frictionless environment would accelerate at gravity and I’m not too sure. :confused:

Any help in explaining it would be great
Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Doc G said:
I was thinking that it must be something to do with friction but then wondered whether an object on a ramp angled at 45 degrees in a frictionless environment would accelerate at gravity and I’m not too sure. :confused:

yes it would, though the acceleration will not be equal to g but a bit less. It really depends on the angle of the incline

Also, rigid body mechanics will teach you that the acceleration at which an object rolls of does not depend on the magntude of the object, also not on the mass but on the way the mass is distributed throughout the object's volume. This is expressed by the socalled mass tensor or the socalled rotational inertia (I-tensor). For example, two equally big and heavy spheres will roll down at different accelerations if their mass is distributed differently when compared to each other.

marlon

Try think of the river as a singel massive point. In this way you can think of it s a vlock on a slope insted of a liquid. You can than simmpaly excamen the problem with forces. There are 2 forces the force of gravity and the force of the ground (it may help to draw this). The force of gravity can than be divided into 2 others. One parallel to the slope and onathe having a -90 deggres angel to it. The one parralel to the slope is the one responsable for the movment of the block (river). Friction does reduce the speed by some factor. But in this very basic explination we don't really need to think about it.

I hope this helps.

Doc G said:
Any help in explaining it would be great
Thanks in advance

If want, i have written a little tutorial on Newtonian Physics . It also covers problems related to inclines. Also, look at the sample problems

ENJOY

regards
marlon

Thank you both very much for your replies. I'll try to get my head aroud it as I'm probably still a couple of years off learning this in physics. Though if I combine your two replies I'm sure my geography teacher will be impressed :smile:

What is river gradient?

River gradient refers to the change in elevation of a river over a certain distance. It is typically measured in feet per mile or meters per kilometer.

How is river gradient calculated?

River gradient is calculated by measuring the vertical change in elevation between two points along the river and dividing it by the horizontal distance between those points.

What affects river gradient?

Several factors can affect river gradient, including the type of rock or soil in the riverbed, the shape and steepness of the river channel, and the amount of water flowing in the river.

What is river velocity?

River velocity refers to the speed at which water is moving in a river. It is typically measured in feet per second or meters per second.

How is river velocity related to river gradient?

River velocity is directly related to river gradient. As the gradient of a river increases, the water will flow faster, resulting in a higher velocity. Conversely, a decrease in gradient will result in slower water velocity.