1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gradients and curves

1. Mar 19, 2006 #1
    "The temperature of space is given by [itex]\phi (x,y,z) = xy + xz [/itex]. A fly is flying in space and at each point (x,y,z) of its journey it flies in the direction [itex]\mathbf{F} (x,y,z)[/itex] in which the rate of increase of temperature is maximum.

(a.) Calculate F(x,y,z).
    (b.) Find the curve along which the fly travels if it starts at the point (1,0,1).
    "

For part (a), the direction in which the temperature changes is the same as that of the gradient of [itex]\phi[/itex], so
    [tex]\mathbf{F}(x,y,z) = \nabla\phi (x,y,z) = (y+z)\mathbf{\hat{i}}+x\mathbf{\hat{j}}+x\mathbf{\hat{k}}[/tex]

It is part (b) that is giving me trouble. I just don't know where to begin. I'm sure if I had that much I could figure out the rest on my own.

Any help appreciated! (Final in four days)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2006 #2

0rthodontist

Science Advisor

In part (b) you want to find the curve c(t) such that

F(c(t)) = c'(t)

and c(0) = (1, 0, 1)

4. Mar 20, 2006 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

[tex]\mathbf{F}(x,y,z) = \nabla\phi (x,y,z) = (y+z)\mathbf{\hat{i}}+x\mathbf{\hat{j}}+x\mathbf{\ hat{k}}[/tex]
    points in the direction of flight, which is the same direction as the velocity vector. Since speed is not relevant, you can take "t" to be any parameter you like and then
    [tex]\frac{dx}{dt}= \mathbf{F}_x= y+ z[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{dy}{dt}= \mathbf{F}_y= x[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{dz}{dt}= \mathbf{F}_z= x[/tex]
    You need to solve those three equations with initial condition x(0)= 1, y(0)= 0, z(0)= 1. That will give you parametric equations (with t as the parameter) for the path of flight.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?