1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graduate Admission

1. Dec 7, 2009 #1
    I am an international student and I need some advice regarding applying to phd program in expt HEP. The following are my scores:
    General GRE
    Verbal-660
    Quant-790
    AWA-4

Subject GRE-820(75 percentile)
    TOEFL-96
    I also have one publication to my credit and good recos. Any chances of finding admission in universities ranking between 30 to 50? Other than the top 15 universities,what are the other good universities for Expt HEP?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2009 #2

-DB

What subject test did you take?
    What do you mean by Expt HEP?
    What "ranking" are you basing the question on?

4. Dec 11, 2009 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Probably "expt HEP" means "experimental high energy [particle] physics". (but nevertheless, it's not a good idea to use abbreviations like this, unless you define them first!)

5. Dec 11, 2009 #4
    I mean experimental HEP. I have short listed some universities based on the US news report of 2008.

Rutgers state university New Jersy
    Rice University
    UC, Irvine
    University of Florida, Gainesville
    University of Rochester, New York
    Texas A & M University, college station
    UC, Santa Cruz
    Penn State University, University Park
    University of Pittsburgh, PA
    UC, Riverside

By subject test I mean Physics GRE. U don't apply for HEP with math or chem GRE I presume. How do these universities appear as far as experimental HEP is concerned buddy?

6. Dec 11, 2009 #5
    As an international student, I know my physics gre score is not that good. But is good enough for a university like Rutgers or Rice. Rice university has mentioned in their website that the minimum physics gre score is 832(72 percentile). Though I have the required percentile, but less than 832. So, will they deny even considering the application?

7. Dec 11, 2009 #6

stewartcs

Science Advisor

You should ask a representative from the University. Only they will give you the correct answer.

CS

8. Dec 11, 2009 #7
    In my experience, when a department sets a "minimum" score, they do so to limit the number of applicants, but generally believe that the actual cutoff will be higher.

That said, if the application comes to their department, they'll probably look at it. What could put you over the edge is research experience (if you have it). A readers score (of your personal statement and letters of recommendation (which should stress research experience, if you have it) is probably weighted into the final ranking of candidates and could slip you into the acceptance range.

9. Dec 11, 2009 #8
    I agree that this is probably right in most cases. I've also seen (outside physics), however, when someone's boss sets the minimum, and the person or people actually making the decisions don't care at all about the score relative to other factors.

10. Dec 13, 2009 #9
    So, how about my choice of universities? Any idea about the quality of research going on in these universities? Any suggestion is welcome buddy!!!!!

11. Dec 13, 2009 #10
    To know the quality of research, you should read journal papers, and try to have some sense of their work.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook