Graduate Electrodynamics books

In summary: Alternatives include Ramo, Whinnery and Van Duzer, Fields and Waves in Comm. Electronics, and Classical Electromagnetism.
newbee
Hi Folks

J. D. Jackson's last edition to his Classical Electrodynamics (3rd edition) was ten years ago. Are most graduate physics programs still using his text? It appears that some programs maybe using Schwinger's book. What other graduate level texts are in use?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
As far as I know, Jackson's book is still the standard text. I have actually never met a Physics PhD from recent years (the last 15 years or so) who has not used Jackson's book in graduate electrodynamics. That doesn't mean no one does, but I think it is fairly rare.

Ramo - Whinnery and Van Duzer

Fields and Waves in Comm. Electronics

a classic

The only general graduate EM book I have used is Jackson's. Any other class that dealt with a specified topic chose a text dealing with that specific field, "Waves and Fields in Inhomogeneous Media," "Electromagnetic Noise and Quantum Optical Measurements," or "The Finite Element Method in Electromagnetics" for example, all of which were chosen at the whim of the instructor (and usually written by them too).

Oh, I just remembered, Balanis' "Advanced Engineering Electromagnetics" was used for my graduate ECE EM course and his antenna book was also used in an antennas course.

"Classical Electromagnetism" - Jerrold Franklin

Thanks folks.

First, practically everyone uses Dave Jackson's book.

Alternatives? Lorraine and Corson, although it's a little more elementary and supplemented by Griffiths. Landau, Pitaevskii and Lifgarbagez is even more intense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the recommended textbook for graduate-level Electrodynamics?

The recommended textbook for graduate-level Electrodynamics varies depending on the institution and instructor. However, some commonly used books include "Classical Electrodynamics" by John D. Jackson, "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths, and "Electricity and Magnetism" by Edward M. Purcell.

2. Are there any prerequisites for studying Electrodynamics at the graduate level?

Yes, most graduate-level Electrodynamics courses require a solid understanding of undergraduate-level physics, including mechanics, electromagnetism, and mathematical methods such as vector calculus and differential equations.

3. How does studying Electrodynamics at the graduate level differ from undergraduate level?

Graduate-level Electrodynamics delves deeper into the mathematical and theoretical foundations of the subject. It also covers more advanced topics such as electromagnetic waves, radiation, and quantum electrodynamics.

4. Are there any online resources for studying graduate-level Electrodynamics?

Yes, there are many online resources available for studying graduate-level Electrodynamics, such as lecture notes, video lectures, and practice problems. Some popular sources include MIT OpenCourseWare, Khan Academy, and NPTEL.

5. What career opportunities are available for those with a graduate degree in Electrodynamics?

Graduate-level knowledge in Electrodynamics can lead to various career opportunities in fields such as aerospace, telecommunications, renewable energy, and research. Some common job titles include electromagnetics engineer, systems engineer, and research scientist.