1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graduate Electrodynamics books

1. Sep 16, 2009 #1
    Hi Folks

J. D. Jackson's last edition to his Classical Electrodynamics (3rd edition) was ten years ago. Are most graduate physics programs still using his text? It appears that some programs maybe using Schwinger's book. What other graduate level texts are in use?

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2009 #2
    As far as I know, Jackson's book is still the standard text. I have actually never met a Physics PhD from recent years (the last 15 years or so) who has not used Jackson's book in graduate electrodynamics. That doesn't mean no one does, but I think it is fairly rare.

4. Sep 16, 2009 #3
    Re: Graduate EM books

Ramo - Whinnery and Van Duzer

Fields and Waves in Comm. Electronics

a classic

5. Sep 16, 2009 #4

Born2bwire

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The only general graduate EM book I have used is Jackson's. Any other class that dealt with a specified topic chose a text dealing with that specific field, "Waves and Fields in Inhomogeneous Media," "Electromagnetic Noise and Quantum Optical Measurements," or "The Finite Element Method in Electromagnetics" for example, all of which were chosen at the whim of the instructor (and usually written by them too).

Oh, I just remembered, Balanis' "Advanced Engineering Electromagnetics" was used for my graduate ECE EM course and his antenna book was also used in an antennas course.

6. Sep 17, 2009 #5

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

"Classical Electromagnetism" - Jerrold Franklin

7. Sep 17, 2009 #6

Thanks folks.

8. Sep 17, 2009 #7

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

First, practically everyone uses Dave Jackson's book.

Alternatives? Lorraine and Corson, although it's a little more elementary and supplemented by Griffiths. Landau, Pitaevskii and Lifgarbagez is even more intense.

9. Sep 17, 2009 #8

You can download this free book. Not sure how well it stacks up against the ones listed in the posts above.

http://www.plasma.uu.se/CED/Book/

Thanks
    Matt

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  10. Sep 17, 2009 #9
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook