Should I Accept a Summer Internship Offer as a First Year Grad Student?

In summary, the speaker applied to a summer internship program on a whim and received an offer to work on Rb and Ca Vapor Cell Clocks. However, after speaking with their soon-to-be advisor, they were advised not to take the offer as the research would not directly benefit their PhD progress and there are no funding issues in their current lab. While the speaker is interested in the applied research of the internship, they also value their current work and do not want to jeopardize their position or relationships at their current lab. The advice given by their advisor is heavily considered and it is noted that committing to a PhD project often means turning down other opportunities. Ultimately, it is recommended to pass on the internship offer if their interests in both directions are
teroenza
Hi All,
While applying to fellowships last semester as a first year grad student, I also applied on a whim to the AFRL Scholars internship program. I got an offer from them this summer to work on Rb and Ca Vapor Cell Clocks. It's a paid 12-week summer internship, and there are no associated service commitments.

After speaking with my soon-to-be adviser (in cold-atom AMO physics) though, he thinks it is a bad idea. His point is that the research there won't directly benefit my progress in getting a PhD, and since there are no funding issues in the lab here at Rice, I should stay and work here.

This makes sense to me, but I wanted opinions before turning down the offer. Coming from an undergrad mindset where being accepted to anything is exciting, this is a new situation for me.

Physics news on Phys.org
The thing that you didn't say, and I think says a lot, is that you were interested in this research.

Do you have quals at the end of the summer? If so, don't you want to be working with a study group over the summer? That would be another good reason to avoid this.

My program does not have quals yet, so that is not an issue for me. I actually am more interested in the applied type of research that this internship does. That said, I like what I am doing at my school too (that's why I chose the group) and I think that jeopardizing my position, or even straining relationships, here is not worth the few months of experience I would get.

teroenza said:
After speaking with my soon-to-be adviser (in cold-atom AMO physics) though, he thinks it is a bad idea. His point is that the research there won't directly benefit my progress in getting a PhD, and since there are no funding issues in the lab here at Rice, I should stay and work here.

I would give this advice a lot of weight. Your supervisor (to be) knows you better than we do. He also knows the project and what it will take to move it forward and eventually lead to a PhD.

While it's exciting to be accepted into something like this, one of the things about chosing a PhD project is that it requires committment. Unfortunately that can mean turning down other opportunities that arise while you're working on it. If you were struggling with your current project or did not have funding for the summer then this might have been an interesting opportunity to explore. But if your interests in each direction are relatively equal and there is no clear benefit to chosing the internship over advancing your PhD, I would pass on it.

What is a graduate internship decision?

A graduate internship decision is the process of choosing and accepting or declining an internship opportunity as a graduate student. It involves weighing the potential benefits and drawbacks of the internship, considering personal and professional goals, and making a well-informed decision.

Why is a graduate internship important?

A graduate internship is important because it provides hands-on experience and practical skills in a specific field, allowing students to apply their knowledge and gain industry experience. It also allows students to network and make professional connections, which can be valuable for future job opportunities.

How do I decide if a graduate internship is right for me?

To decide if a graduate internship is right for you, consider your personal and professional goals, the specific skills and experience the internship offers, and the potential impact on your academic studies. You can also research the company or organization offering the internship and speak with current or former interns to get a better understanding of the experience.

What should I consider when making a graduate internship decision?

When making a graduate internship decision, you should consider the location, duration, compensation, and potential benefits of the internship. You should also think about how the internship aligns with your future career goals and if it will provide the necessary skills and experiences to help you achieve them.

What are some factors to weigh when choosing between multiple graduate internship offers?

When choosing between multiple graduate internship offers, consider the specific responsibilities and tasks of each internship, the reputation and resources of the company or organization, the location and potential cost of living, and any additional benefits or opportunities offered. You should also consider how each internship aligns with your career goals and personal interests.