Graduate level Mathematics courses of interest for Biological Physics

In summary, the speaker is an incoming graduate student in Theoretical Physics at Universiteit Utrecht and is seeking advice on which mathematical elective to take. Their main interests lie in Statistical Physics, phase transitions, and collective and critical dynamics with applications to biological and soft matter problems. They are considering taking a mathematics graduate level course in Measure Theory, which they believe will be useful in their research in these fields. They also ask for recommendations on texts to read and for advice from anyone working in these fields. The suggested books are "Principles of Condensed Matter Physics" by Chaikin and Lubensky for soft matter, and "Molecular Driving Forces" by Dill and Bromberg for biophysics. The speaker also notes that
corentin_lau
I am an incoming graduate student in Theoretical Physics at Universiteit Utrecht, and I struggle to make a choice for one of my mathematical electives. I hope someone can help me out. My main interests lie in the fields of Statistical Physics, phase transitions and collective and critical dynamics with applications to biological and soft matter problems. During my undergrad I did some research on polymer glasses in confined geometries which I found very enjoyable.

I am thinking of taking a mathematics graduate level course in Measure Theory. The course seems very challenging (from my background in physics where mathematics is less rigorous) but it opens up very interesting options such as Stochastic Calculus and Random Walks. Essentially I'd like to know how useful is knowledge of these two sub-fields of mathematics in modern research in Statistical, Biological & Soft Matter Physics ? From my knowledge, the Master Equation formalism includes stochastic terms and random walks are used as polymer models, but i'd like deeper insights ... If you also have any text recommendations ?

If anyone working in the fields of soft matter, biological physics, quantitative biology could give any advice it’d be very much appreciated !

Physics news on Phys.org
corentin_lau said:
If anyone working in the fields of soft matter, biological physics, quantitative biology could give any advice it’d be very much appreciated !

These fields are progressing rapidly, finding a comprehensive text is difficult. I recommend starting with:

soft matter: Principles of condensed matter physics (Chaikin and Lubensky)
biophysics: Molecular driving forces (Dill and Bromberg)

Picking a book (or 3) for 'quantitative biology' is hard because the term is rather ill-defined, ranging from 'system biology' to quantitative western blots.

In addition, there are several excellent books devoted to the Langevin equation, which you may find useful.

Likes berkeman
Disclaimer: pure math student here

Measure theory is an absolute necessity if you want to formally understand probability theory. This includes random walks and Brownian motion, which can often be seen as a more general stochastic process that's called martingale.

The prerequisites for such a course would be formal real analysis class in which ##\epsilon-\delta## proofs are treated and where the topology of the real numbers is discussed.

1. What are some examples of graduate level mathematics courses that are relevant to Biological Physics?

Some examples of graduate level mathematics courses that are relevant to Biological Physics include Differential Equations, Partial Differential Equations, Probability and Statistics, Linear Algebra, and Numerical Analysis.

2. How can studying mathematics at the graduate level benefit my understanding of Biological Physics?

Studying mathematics at the graduate level can benefit your understanding of Biological Physics by providing you with a strong foundation in mathematical concepts and techniques that are essential for analyzing and modeling complex biological systems. It can also help you develop critical thinking skills and the ability to approach problems from a quantitative perspective.

3. Are there any prerequisites for taking graduate level mathematics courses in Biological Physics?

It depends on the specific course and program, but in general, a strong background in undergraduate mathematics, including calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations, is necessary for success in graduate level mathematics courses in Biological Physics. Some programs may also require knowledge of basic biology and physics concepts.

4. Can I take graduate level mathematics courses in Biological Physics without a background in biology or physics?

It is possible to take graduate level mathematics courses in Biological Physics without a background in biology or physics, but it may be more challenging. It is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics, as well as a willingness to learn and understand biological and physical concepts that may be new to you.

5. What career opportunities are available for those with a background in graduate level mathematics and Biological Physics?

Graduate level mathematics courses in Biological Physics can open up a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as biotechnology, pharmaceuticals, medical research, and bioinformatics. Graduates can also pursue careers in academia, working as researchers or professors in universities or research institutions.