Graduate level philosophy class

In summary, the student is currently in the process of choosing their classes for next semester and is considering taking a 210 Philosophy Introduction to logic class. They worry that the class might be too difficult for them, but they would still take it if it were available. They also suggest that someone with a background in mathematics and logic might find the class more difficult than someone without those backgrounds.
jesuslovesu
I am currently in the process of choosing my classes for next semester. (EE major)
I need to pick some general education classes, because unfortunately the two that I've taken didn't transfer correctly (or how I would have hoped).

I can take 210 Philosophy Introduction to logic - which I believe I should be able to handle.

Unfortunately the only other classes that the philosophy department offers are classes that I would hate. Except for a graduate level class called 5xx Mathmatical logic.
This is a class taught by a math dept faculty but counts as a philosophy class. (with the preq of linear algebra).

Would it be a mistake to think that since I am an EE student that I should do well in this class? Are graduate level classes in the humanities hopelessly easy? Or will it involve boatloads of work? I've also never taken another philosophy class before (except I would take introduction to logic before this).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Check here.

ratemyprofessors dot com

Yes, unfortunately, the professor that is teaching it appears to have never taught that specific class

jesuslovesu said:
Yes, unfortunately, the professor that is teaching it appears to have never taught that specific class

Sorry it didn't help. :(

I can suggest that you email the professor to ask for an example syllabus. I've found that to be helpful at times for planning. Most likely, they will be of service and it will show them that you are assertive.

I've taken many philo classes, and most Calc as a CompEngr w/ Philo minor, so I would suggest that you should not have any problem with intro to philo logic (nobody should, really). It's probably much less than you are expecting because it will deal with different "social/psychological peceptions" of logic and not a "true environmental/numerical" logic as logisticians or mathematicians would deal with - or even general logical fallacies (although you with deal with contextual fallacies) as you would deal with in middle/upper level English courses. It will be a generalization of philosophical logic and English rhetoric (semi-persuasiveness) for the most part - nothing too hard because it is all very malleable by nature. I'd say you should expect an average of 4 or 5, at least ~~1500-3000 word essays on the subject over the term.

Have you ever come across an "intro" class that was really difficult? Mathematical logic that you are talking about is a mix of philo math logic and comp sci discrete math/elements of calc, so it is going to be more consuming than the other course. It will have more elements of set theory, proof, recursion, etc... so if you want something more "hard core" then go for it if you have the prereq. Philo logic is more liberal, but perhaps not easier if you are not a writer.

Hope that helps. :)

i would wager any graduate classes with either the words math or logic in them will be difficult.

Graduate philosophy is tough. Especially logic. But I'd still take that mathematical logic course if I were you. It's bound to look a lot more like math to you and interest you more than the introductory course.

My guess is, the mathematical logic course will cover a lot of the same topics as the introductory course (and many the intro course will never touch) from a different perspective. It should be far more useful.

Surely, something else in the department will interest you. Metaphysics or Epistemology come to mind. If not those, why not classical philosophy or a history of philosophy course. If they have courses on specific philosopher's, that is the best. I would recommend a class on Hume, Locke, Schopenhaur to be the easiest. Kant, Hegel, and Heidegger being harder.

OK, as an undergrad I took both the grad and undergrad logic classes that the philosophy dept. offered (physics major). I took them my second semester of Freshman year and first semester of Sophomore year.

The grad level was MUCH MUCH more difficult. The undergrad version did not take much effort and I routinely did the homework inebriated. I really enjoyed the undergrad class so I took the grad level class. I had to work my butt off for the grad level class. It was about 10 times as much work. And to be honest- I don't know that it was worth it. All the proofs were just VERY much longer and I don't think I really got anything out of it above and beyond what I learned in the undergrad version.

I hope that helps.

1. What is the purpose of a graduate level philosophy class?

The purpose of a graduate level philosophy class is to provide students with a deeper understanding of philosophical concepts and theories, as well as critical thinking skills that can be applied to various disciplines and real-life situations. It also prepares students for advanced research and academic writing in the field of philosophy.

2. What topics are typically covered in a graduate level philosophy class?

Topics covered in a graduate level philosophy class vary depending on the specific course and instructor, but may include metaphysics, epistemology, ethics, political philosophy, philosophy of mind, and logic. Some classes may also focus on specific philosophers or time periods in the history of philosophy.

3. How is a graduate level philosophy class different from an undergraduate class?

A graduate level philosophy class is typically more advanced and rigorous than an undergraduate class. It may cover more complex and specialized topics, require more independent research and critical analysis, and have higher expectations for writing and class participation. Graduate classes also tend to have smaller class sizes, allowing for more in-depth discussions and individual attention from the instructor.

4. What skills can I expect to gain from taking a graduate level philosophy class?

Taking a graduate level philosophy class can help you develop critical thinking skills, analytic reasoning, and the ability to construct and defend arguments. It can also improve your writing and research skills, as well as your ability to think creatively and abstractly. These skills are valuable in a variety of fields, including academia, law, business, and public policy.

5. What are the prerequisites for enrolling in a graduate level philosophy class?

The prerequisites for a graduate level philosophy class may vary depending on the institution and specific course. In general, students are expected to have a strong background in philosophy, including coursework in logic, metaphysics, and epistemology. Many programs also require students to have a bachelor's degree in philosophy or a related field, as well as a high GPA and strong letters of recommendation.