1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Admissions Graduate School Admission

  1. May 16, 2016 #1
    I have transferred from community college, so I am supposed to finish in two years. However, some people can petition to stay for three years I believe. I'm an undergraduate physics major thinking of staying for three years, where there is guaranteed financial aid during that time frame, to take all the classes I want.

    To do this, I think I will basically have to intentionally not take one graduation requirement course so they can't kick me out if that is I do not declare a double major or minor. (I probably will just have one major. )

    (The other major I am considering is computer science and then switching to a physics minor.)

    Will graduate schools frown upon what I am doing?
    Last edited: May 16, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2016 #2


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

    If I understand the question, I think in most cases the people on graduate committees aren't going to be too concerned about someone who takes an extra year to complete an undergraduate degree - particularly if you're enrolled full time and potentially completing a second major. (I don't know what you mean by "staying three years" - a typical undergraduate degree is four years - in North America at least.)

    The other flag I see is switching to a CS major and physics minor. This will qualify you for graduate school in computer science, which is fine if that's where you want to go. A minor in physics is generally not considered sufficient for admission to graduate school in physics.
  4. May 16, 2016 #3
    Sorry, my bad. I'm a transfer student, so I'm supposed to finish in two years, but I've heard you can stay for three with guaranteed financial aid. For remaining a physics major, I am waiting to see if I'll actually enjoy and excel in upper division courses. If I don't do well, I'm pretty much stuck with a B.S. degree in physics. I've heard how difficult it is to find jobs with only a B.S. in physics and how some wish they majored in C.S. rather than physics, being that is their career after graduation. It seems that C.S. majors have a much easier time finding jobs after graduation. My dream as a teenager was to become a physicist. At this point in my life, I've lost a lot of motivation and just want to chill. Graduate school in physics sounds like a rough life ahead.

    So, the graduate committee really won't care if I take an extra year even though I don't need to? Is it all right/morally acceptable to use financial aid because I want to learn more?
    Last edited: May 16, 2016
  5. May 16, 2016 #4


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor

    Of course. That is what aid is for. Almost no one knows exactly what they are going to do from the beginning and never changes.

    Besides, I think *most* people graduate in 5 years, not four. Especially in tough subjects.
  6. May 16, 2016 #5
    So that can also apply to what field they want to do in physics, which makes it socially/morally acceptable to use aid to explore as many classes as possible in physics.

    Thank you very much Choppy and analogdesign for answering my questions.
  7. May 16, 2016 #6


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor

    I think it is morally and socially acceptable to study anything you want with financial aid, unless (and I haven't heard of this) there is language in the loan/grant documents that stipulates it is only to be used for specific majors.
  8. May 16, 2016 #7
    I haven't seen any language in the loan/grant documents that stipulates it is only to be used for specific majors. It's pretty much for any major.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted