Is It Acceptable to Extend Undergraduate Studies for Financial Aid Eligibility?

In summary, if you are an undergraduate physics major and want to stay for three years, you will have to intentionally not take one graduation requirement course. This might cause some problems with graduate school, but it is still morally and socially acceptable.
Pius
I have transferred from community college, so I am supposed to finish in two years. However, some people can petition to stay for three years I believe. I'm an undergraduate physics major thinking of staying for three years, where there is guaranteed financial aid during that time frame, to take all the classes I want.

To do this, I think I will basically have to intentionally not take one graduation requirement course so they can't kick me out if that is I do not declare a double major or minor. (I probably will just have one major. )

(The other major I am considering is computer science and then switching to a physics minor.)

Will graduate schools frown upon what I am doing?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If I understand the question, I think in most cases the people on graduate committees aren't going to be too concerned about someone who takes an extra year to complete an undergraduate degree - particularly if you're enrolled full time and potentially completing a second major. (I don't know what you mean by "staying three years" - a typical undergraduate degree is four years - in North America at least.)

The other flag I see is switching to a CS major and physics minor. This will qualify you for graduate school in computer science, which is fine if that's where you want to go. A minor in physics is generally not considered sufficient for admission to graduate school in physics.

Choppy said:
If I understand the question, I think in most cases the people on graduate committees aren't going to be too concerned about someone who takes an extra year to complete an undergraduate degree - particularly if you're enrolled full time and potentially completing a second major. (I don't know what you mean by "staying three years" - a typical undergraduate degree is four years - in North America at least.)

The other flag I see is switching to a CS major and physics minor. This will qualify you for graduate school in computer science, which is fine if that's where you want to go. A minor in physics is generally not considered sufficient for admission to graduate school in physics.
Sorry, my bad. I'm a transfer student, so I'm supposed to finish in two years, but I've heard you can stay for three with guaranteed financial aid. For remaining a physics major, I am waiting to see if I'll actually enjoy and excel in upper division courses. If I don't do well, I'm pretty much stuck with a B.S. degree in physics. I've heard how difficult it is to find jobs with only a B.S. in physics and how some wish they majored in C.S. rather than physics, being that is their career after graduation. It seems that C.S. majors have a much easier time finding jobs after graduation. My dream as a teenager was to become a physicist. At this point in my life, I've lost a lot of motivation and just want to chill. Graduate school in physics sounds like a rough life ahead.

So, the graduate committee really won't care if I take an extra year even though I don't need to? Is it all right/morally acceptable to use financial aid because I want to learn more?

Last edited:
Of course. That is what aid is for. Almost no one knows exactly what they are going to do from the beginning and never changes.

Besides, I think *most* people graduate in 5 years, not four. Especially in tough subjects.

analogdesign said:
Of course. That is what aid is for. Almost no one knows exactly what they are going to do from the beginning and never changes.

Besides, I think *most* people graduate in 5 years, not four. Especially in tough subjects.

So that can also apply to what field they want to do in physics, which makes it socially/morally acceptable to use aid to explore as many classes as possible in physics.

Thank you very much Choppy and analogdesign for answering my questions.

I think it is morally and socially acceptable to study anything you want with financial aid, unless (and I haven't heard of this) there is language in the loan/grant documents that stipulates it is only to be used for specific majors.

analogdesign said:
I think it is morally and socially acceptable to study anything you want with financial aid, unless (and I haven't heard of this) there is language in the loan/grant documents that stipulates it is only to be used for specific majors.

I haven't seen any language in the loan/grant documents that stipulates it is only to be used for specific majors. It's pretty much for any major.

What are the minimum requirements for graduate school admission?

The specific requirements for graduate school admission vary depending on the program and university. Generally, most graduate programs require a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution, a minimum GPA of 3.0, and a satisfactory score on a standardized test such as the GRE. Some programs may also have additional requirements such as prerequisite courses or relevant work experience. It is important to research the specific requirements for the program you are interested in applying to.

How important are letters of recommendation in the graduate school admission process?

Letters of recommendation are an important aspect of the graduate school admission process as they provide insight into an applicant's academic abilities, personal qualities, and potential for success in a graduate program. It is recommended to choose recommenders who know you well and can speak to your strengths and potential as a graduate student.

What is the typical timeline for the graduate school admission process?

The timeline for the graduate school admission process can vary depending on the program and university. Generally, it is recommended to start researching and preparing for graduate school at least one year in advance. This includes researching programs, studying for standardized tests, gathering application materials, and reaching out to recommenders. The application deadlines for graduate programs also vary, so it is important to stay organized and plan accordingly.

What is the difference between a master's and a PhD program in terms of admission requirements?

The main difference between a master's and a PhD program in terms of admission requirements is the level of academic achievement and research experience expected. While a master's program may only require a bachelor's degree and a minimum GPA, a PhD program typically requires a master's degree and a higher GPA. Additionally, PhD programs often require applicants to have research experience and a clear research proposal for their graduate studies.

Is it possible to switch fields for graduate school?

Yes, it is possible to switch fields for graduate school. Many programs welcome applicants from diverse backgrounds and may even offer specific programs for students looking to change fields. However, it is important to carefully research and prepare for the switch, as it may require additional coursework or experience to catch up to other applicants in the new field.