1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graduate school advice

1. Sep 16, 2010 #1
    So... I know nobody will be able to give me a very clear answer to this question, but I was hoping someone out there might be able to give me an idea of how likely I am to get into a top tier physics graduate school (UChicago is my first choice). Anyway, here's all the relevant info about me:

Math & Physics double major (Astrophysics minor but that's pretty insignificant)
    GPA of ~3.8 at University of Minnesota, Physics/technical GPA higher than that (maybe ~3.85).
    Research experience in an experimental physics lab for 2, 2.5 years, not doing anything groundbreaking though, a lot of making cables and soldering, etc. Strong letter of recommendation from the professor though.
    Also, there's a math professor with whom I have taken 3 courses, GPA of ~3.8 over those courses and am currently doing a directed study with, so I believe that I can get a good letter from him. (Is it a problem to have a letter from a math professor?)
    For the third letter, I am somewhat at a loss. I had a professor for 3 semesters for introductory physics, but I didn't have a very close relationship with him. He does know me though and we talk from time to time when we see each other.
    As to the GRE, I haven't taken it yet, but I am good at taking such tests and anticipate getting a pretty high score. I'll hazard a guess of 750-800 on Math, Reading, and Writing, and maybe 750-850 on the Physics subject test.
    I don't know what else to say, really. I am taking a graduate Quantum class this year and a graduate Algebra class too. I've worked as a TA. I am the president of the chess club.

So is it overly optimistic to hope to get into a top 10 physics Ph.D. program? One possible issue is that I am interested in theoretical physics but I have no experience in the field.

Any advice/opinions will be appreciated.

2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted