Graduate school after the Army

In summary, the speaker is a former army officer looking to pursue a Ph.D. in CSE after completing a BSEE with heavy coursework in CSE. They are concerned about the difficulty of admissions to top programs and their potential disadvantage compared to younger students or those with industry experience. The other person advises the speaker to set reasonable expectations and consider programs that offer a master's degree as well, given their time away from school.
Husky04
Hello,

I am currently getting out of the army after six years as an officer in the infantry. I would like to go back to graduate school for my Ph.D. in CSE. I have a BSEE with heavy coursework in CSE from the University of Washington. I am just wondering how difficult admissions will be to the better CSE Ph.D. programs (Top 25) compared to students coming right out of undergrad or having worked in industry for a few years? Also, will I be playing a lot of catchup and be at a distinct disadvantage to my classmates?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
obviously you aren't going to find yourself the brightest of the lot, and you'll be playing a lot of catchup.

but from what I know, being 6 years older and more mature allows you to be pretty good at playing catchup and putting in the tonnes of effort you'll be needing.

BTW, I suggest that you set reasonable expectations. maybe aim for a program that would allow exit with a masters if necessary. being away from school for so long, you oughta be conservative

What is the process for applying to graduate school after serving in the Army?

The process for applying to graduate school after serving in the Army is similar to applying for any other graduate program. You will need to research and select the schools and programs you are interested in, gather all necessary application materials (transcripts, letters of recommendation, personal statement, etc.), and submit your applications by the specified deadlines. Some schools may also require additional materials, such as military transcripts or documentation of your service.

How can my military experience help me in graduate school?

Your military experience can provide you with valuable skills and qualities that can help you succeed in graduate school. These may include discipline, leadership, time management, and problem-solving abilities. Additionally, some schools may offer credits or waivers for certain courses based on your military experience.

Will I receive financial assistance for graduate school as a veteran?

As a veteran of the Army, you may be eligible for financial assistance for graduate school through various programs, such as the Post-9/11 GI Bill or the Yellow Ribbon Program. It is important to research and understand the specific requirements and benefits of each program and to apply for them as early as possible.

What resources are available to help me transition from the military to graduate school?

There are many resources available to help veterans transition from the military to graduate school. These may include career counseling, academic advising, and support groups specifically for veterans. You may also be able to connect with other veterans who have gone through the same process and can provide valuable insights and advice.

Are there any programs or opportunities specifically for veterans in graduate school?

Yes, there are programs and opportunities specifically for veterans in graduate school. These may include networking events, mentorship programs, and research or internship opportunities. Some schools may also have a designated office or department that provides support and resources for veteran students. It is important to research and inquire about these opportunities at the schools you are considering.