Where Can I Find the Best Graduate School for Studying Gravity?

In summary, the speaker is an undergraduate student looking for prospective graduate schools that offer a strong program for studying general relativity and all aspects of gravity. They are not concerned with the school's reputation, but rather their focus on the subject. The speaker is specifically interested in quantum gravity and is open to considering European schools as well. They are advised to research different areas of gravity and then seek recommendations based on their interests.
mgp
Hello,

I'm undergrad in physics and am seeking prospective graduate (PhD) schools that have a very good program for studying GR and basically everything I can learn about gravity. I'm not overly concerned with schools being "ivy" league - I just want a school that specializes in my focus and can be recommended overall. Any ideas? European schools included?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the first thing you should do is narrow down really what it is about gravity that you want to study at the PhD level. Are you interested in numerical relativity? Quantum gravity? Mathematical properties of GR? Modified theories of gravity? Gravitational radiation? Also, experimental or theoretical?

Take some time to look into all of these different research areas (and there are undoubtedly more, I've just named a few that I'm familiar with). Once you've found some that are interesting, then people can start to make recommendations.

Thanks Nabeshin. While I can't claim to know a great deal about all the various branches of gravity, I am set on quantum gravity.

1. What is "Graduate School for Gravity"?

"Graduate School for Gravity" is a specialized program for graduate students interested in studying the fundamental force of gravity. It focuses on topics such as general relativity, cosmology, and astrophysics.

2. How long does it take to complete the program?

The length of the program varies depending on the specific institution and program, but on average it takes 2-3 years to complete a Master's degree and 4-6 years to complete a PhD in "Graduate School for Gravity."

3. What are the requirements for admission to "Graduate School for Gravity"?

The requirements for admission typically include a bachelor's degree in a relevant field such as physics or astronomy, strong letters of recommendation, a high GPA, and satisfactory scores on the GRE (Graduate Record Examination). Some programs may also require a research proposal or statement of purpose.

4. What career opportunities are available after completing "Graduate School for Gravity"?

Graduates from "Graduate School for Gravity" have a variety of career paths available to them. Some may choose to continue their research in academia, while others may pursue careers in industry, government agencies, or science communication.

5. Are there any financial aid or funding opportunities for "Graduate School for Gravity"?

Many institutions offer financial aid and funding opportunities for graduate students in "Graduate School for Gravity." This can include research assistantships, teaching assistantships, fellowships, and scholarships. It is important to research and apply for these opportunities early in the application process.