1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graduate School in Mathematics

1. Jul 26, 2012 #1
    Hi. So my first year of university was good. I had a 3.7/4 gpa then. Then, I transferred to another university and my marks dropped significantly (for certain reasons, not all of which were entirely my fault). My gpa in my second year was 2.88/4. Now, I'm in my 3rd year, first semester, and I expect to have an 85% average for this semester (exams are soon, and I know the grades I'm going in to the exams with). I expect the following semesters will be at least as good.

Now, I have been looking at some grad schools for math (some masters programs, some phd programs), and it seems that I will be meeting the minimum requirements (by a reasonable margin). Despite this, I feel that the chance of me getting in is pretty low, when I realize that there are going to be a ton of applicants who have been getting 90 averages for every year of their undergrad career.

I just want to know if I have a reasonable chance getting in to a good grad school for math (i.e. one that is recognized by the math community as a good one). Thanks.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted