Graduate School Options for Low GPA, GRE and PGRE Scores

In summary: An MSc program would be a better option for you, but it's by no means guaranteed. You would need to do well in the admissions process, and there's no guarantee that your grades and test scores would be good enough to get you in. Additionally, an MSc program is typically more expensive than a graduate degree, and you would have to get a scholarship to cover the costs. In summary, your grades and test scores are not enough to get you into most graduate schools, and an MSc program would be a better option but it's not guaranteed.
huffyduffy
Hi everyone,

I’m in the process of choosing graduate schools and realize most of schools seems out of reach for me. I have a low combination of both gpa, pgre and gre. I know the low pgre as a reinforce of my low gpa. I come from a normal state public school and have about one year research experience. nothing special.

will there any range of graduate school that I should look into? or should i apply for a master program?

thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The number of students per year (2011-2014) who are accepted with GPA <=3.25 and PGRE <= 555 is 1.5. That's country (US)-wide. I'm sorry to say this, but that's what you are up against. I also suspect that that single (rarely, two) student admitted with those grades and scores each year got stellar letters, had a top-notch research component to their resume, had a personal connection between their advisor and someone at the university and got lucky with a university that had a grad student shortfall that year.

Likes Dishsoap and huffyduffy
thank you for the statistic. I probably don't have any of those appealing components in my application. I do really want to go to graduate school, but you it seems hopeless to me right now.

By any chance, do you know how difficult to get into a master degree?

Vanadium 50 said:
The number of students per year (2011-2014) who are accepted with GPA <=3.25 and PGRE <= 555 is 1.5. That's country (US)-wide. I'm sorry to say this, but that's what you are up against. I also suspect that that single (rarely, two) student admitted with those grades and scores each year got stellar letters, had a top-notch research component to their resume, had a personal connection between their advisor and someone at the university and got lucky with a university that had a grad student shortfall that year.
The number of students accepted is 1.5??

The average number.

Likes WWGD
huffyduffy said:
thank you for the statistic. I probably don't have any of those appealing components in my application. I do really want to go to graduate school, but you it seems hopeless to me right now.

By any chance, do you know how difficult to get into a master degree?
Is that the same thing but just a little bit lower level of advancement?

First, you need to understand where you are: 1.5 per year means about the bottom 0.05%. Getting into a MS program would have to be 20x easier - and it's not - for you to get in the bottom 1%. While it may be possible to find a program that will take your tuition, it is far, far from guaranteed.

Second, you need to understand that the grades and test scores are telling you (and the admissions committee) that you are not prepared for graduate school. It will do you no good to enroll in a program only to flunk out, and even less good to enroll in a program, pay a lot of a tuition, and then flunk out. If your reaction to this is "I won't flunk out", I'd ask "how do you know?" and more importantly "how does the admission committee know?"

Unfortunately, either your grades and scores represent your ability or they don't. If they do, why do you think you will be more successful in a more difficult program? If they don't, why don't they, and why won't the same factors come into play in grad school?

huffyduffy said:
I’m in the process of choosing graduate schools and realize most of schools seems out of reach for me. I have a low combination of both gpa, pgre and gre. I know the low pgre as a reinforce of my low gpa. I come from a normal state public school and have about one year research experience. nothing special.

will there any range of graduate school that I should look into? or should i apply for a master program?

I might ask how low is "low" and do you have a specific direction or speciality in mind or are you just considering graduate school because it seems like the next best path?

As V50 has pointed out there's a minimum threshold, and even if you're just over that, it's going to be a challenge to get in. You also have to think about what's going to happen if you get in. Remember, the people who get into graduate school are generally the better students from undergrad. Even if you manage to just squeak in, you're going to be fighting an uphill battle against all the people who have academic records that are much better than yours. Remember in a lot of programs, your grade is often awarded based on your performance relative to your peers, and the threshold for passing in graduate school is higher than it was as an undergrad.

An MSc program is one option, but again, what's the end game? Anecdotally there don't seem to be too many cases of students who struggled in undergrad, enrolled in a master's degree, turned things around and went on to be highly successful in their PhD.

That said, maybe you have something specific in mind. You might find that the skills that you've picked up in your physics degree will give you an edge in something like quantitative finance, or machine learning, or some specialized type of engineering, and so if you get into a professionally oriented master's program, or even a "boot camp" certificate program that plays to your strengths, those might springboard you into a tangential career.

Vanadium 50 said:
First, you need to understand where you are: 1.5 per year means about the bottom 0.05%. Getting into a MS program would have to be 20x easier - and it's not - for you to get in the bottom 1%. While it may be possible to find a program that will take your tuition, it is far, far from guaranteed.

Second, you need to understand that the grades and test scores are telling you (and the admissions committee) that you are not prepared for graduate school. It will do you no good to enroll in a program only to flunk out, and even less good to enroll in a program, pay a lot of a tuition, and then flunk out. If your reaction to this is "I won't flunk out", I'd ask "how do you know?" and more importantly "how does the admission committee know?"

Unfortunately, either your grades and scores represent your ability or they don't. If they do, why do you think you will be more successful in a more difficult program? If they don't, why don't they, and why won't the same factors come into play in grad school?

So what options do you suggest that the OP pursue? Given that the OP has a low GPA, PGRE, and GRE, they are also at a distinct disadvantage in virtually everything else, including seeking employment upon graduation.

Likes WWGD
StatGuy2000 said:
Given that the OP has a low GPA, PGRE, and GRE, they are also at a distinct disadvantage in virtually everything else, including seeking employment upon graduation.

That is correct.

StatGuy2000 said:
So what options do you suggest that the OP pursue?

I think the OP should make an informed decision based on this information.

I'm flattered that you seem to thin k I have some sort of magic formula that allows people with low scores, grades and modest letters a path to grad school and future success, but I really don't. The best I can do is inform.

Choppy said:
the threshold for passing in graduate school is higher than it was as an undergrad.
Indeed. When I was in grad school, I think the minimum GPA was B. I had to re-take thermo because I got a B- in it and I was on the borderline otherwise.

You'd be surprised at the amount of options available when you actually want, need, a solution, kludges and all.

Vanadium 50 said:
I'm flattered that you seem to thin k I have some sort of magic formula that allows people with low scores, grades and modest letters a path to grad school and future success, but I really don't. The best I can do is inform.

Don't flatter yourself! o0)

All kidding aside, no I don't think you have any magic formula to allow people with low scores and grades a path to grad school.

But since you chose to respond to the OP about the reality that they face, a concrete suggestion about what paths are available might be advisable.

Likes WWGD
Vanadium 50 said:
That is correct.
I think the OP should make an informed decision based on this information.

I think the OP realizes their situation is far from optimal. And it is precisely because you don't have a magic wand, and, like the rest of us, don't know it all that you, we, should look harder for solutions.

StatGuy2000 said:
But since you chose to respond to the OP about the reality that they face, a concrete suggestion about what paths are available might be advisable.
What he seems to have said is that the OP lost his paths. No solution to problem.

symbolipoint said:
What he seems to have said is that the OP lost his paths. No solution to problem.

If @Vanadium 50 is suggesting that the OP is doomed to misery and/or poverty, then that is both a false and unnecessarily grim conclusion. Yes, graduate school in physics is no longer a possibility, but there are other paths available.

StatGuy2000 said:
If @Vanadium 50 is suggesting that the OP is doomed to misery and/or poverty, then that is both a false and unnecessarily grim conclusion. Yes, graduate school in physics is no longer a possibility, but there are other paths available.
I'd say it is not available in the short run but possibly so over the long run albeit with a big effort needed.

1. What are my chances of getting into a graduate program with a low GPA, GRE, and PGRE scores?

It depends on the specific program and university you are applying to. Some programs may have a minimum requirement for GPA and test scores, while others may consider other factors such as research experience, letters of recommendation, and personal statements. It is important to research and apply to a range of programs to increase your chances of acceptance.

2. Should I retake the GRE or PGRE to improve my chances?

If you have the time and resources, retaking the GRE or PGRE and aiming for a higher score can improve your chances of getting into a graduate program. However, keep in mind that a strong application also includes other components such as research experience, letters of recommendation, and personal statements.

3. Are there any graduate programs that do not require GRE or PGRE scores?

Yes, there are some graduate programs that do not require GRE or PGRE scores. These programs may place more emphasis on other factors such as research experience, letters of recommendation, and personal statements. It is important to research and apply to these programs if your test scores are not strong.

4. How can I make my application stand out despite my low GPA and test scores?

You can make your application stand out by highlighting your research experience, academic achievements, and any relevant skills or experiences. You can also reach out to professors or researchers in your field of interest and ask for letters of recommendation. Additionally, you can use your personal statement to address any challenges you faced during your undergraduate studies and how you have grown and improved since then.

5. What are some alternative options if I am not accepted into a graduate program?

If you are not accepted into a graduate program, you can consider taking post-baccalaureate courses to improve your GPA, gaining more research experience through internships or volunteer opportunities, or applying to a master's program before pursuing a PhD. You can also reach out to admissions counselors or program directors to discuss your application and ask for feedback on how to improve for future applications.