1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graduate School Questions

1. Oct 18, 2005 #1
    Hey everyone,
    I was looking around the graduate studies website of my current university and came across some things that brought up questions. Wondered if you guys could help me out. First off it said that people studying for a MSc would be gaurenteed $18 000 and $20 000 for PhD. Does this mean that they pay YOU for studying??? As well it said average time it took to get a MSc was 3.5 years and 5.5 for a PhD. I aways thought MSc was only 2 and Phd 3-4.
    Thanks for any help!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2005 #2
    No you wouldn't be paid for just studying. You'd be working in a research group and possibly also get an assistantship thrown at you.

4. Oct 18, 2005 #3

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes.

I think 3.5 is long - 2 is more realistic. I think some MSc programmes in Canada have a time limit of 3 years, although if a student is close to finishing, this limit is often not rigidly enforced.

I think 5.5 refers to the total length of time spent in grad school, which fits your estimates. My experience for physics is that 3-5 is a better estimate for a PhD in physics after an MSc has already been completed.

Regards,
    George

5. Oct 18, 2005 #4
    I T.A. for two sections of a lab for my stipend. When you think of the long hours studying, though, it doesn't come out too well in your favor. It is nice feeling like the schools investment, though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?