1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graduate School Woes

1. Apr 22, 2008 #1
    I am currently a senior undergraduate student majoring in Computer Engineering. I initially chose this major to get a grasp on both "software" and "hardware" side of engineering namely, in "Computer Science" and "Electrical Engineering" aspect, which I believed might be handy once I start researching in Robotics extensively.

I'm not sure if it was the ideal choice I made back then, as I think of it now. Our Computer Engineering program has a curriculum that is more closer to Electrical Engineering side (About 65% EE, 35% COSC) hence, I missed out a lot of core computer science courses which is associated with Artificial Intelligence.
    (Curriculum : http://wwweng.uwyo.edu/electrical/undergrad/computer.html)

Here is my question. I want to apply to Texas A&M for graduate school, but I don't exactly know what I should do. I mean, I took autocontrol system class to get a grasp on the control system aspect of Robotics, but never in Artificial Intelligence due to my lacking prerequisite. I didn't "really" enjoy the control aspect. I hated doing locus plots, analyzing nyquist plots, those sort of stuff.

I believe that I enjoy more of computer science aspect of my major as of now than the electrical engineering side. Does this mean I should go with a Master degree in Computer Science (Or computer engineering - computer science track)? I'm just afraid that I might not have the corresponding courses I need to take for this.

I'm really confused about my major and all. I'd appriciate it if anyone could provide me some advices.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2008 #2
    I don't think it will matter really. Do what you like. Most programs will allow for you to make up for some courses that you may need during graduate work. As long as you have a good background in math/science/engineering, they will know that you can be successful.

Take my uncle for example...BS in math-> MS in computer science -> EE in electrical engineering. All from good schools, and he didn't have any trouble. You might just spend an extra semester or so making up the computer science courses that you need.
  4. Apr 23, 2008 #3

Thats a red flag. What do you think you're going to be doing as a controls engineer? Exactly what you hate doing in bold.

I think you better determine exactly what you want to do before you apply for a masters anywhere.
  5. Apr 23, 2008 #4
    And that is exactly where I am having issues with. But I guess I can scratch out Control Systems.

Perhaps AI then?
  6. Apr 23, 2008 #5
    You can try to get a job doing something controls/AI related, and see what part of if you like. Then go back and get your masters.

I will say this, the controls gets more interesting when you do applications and not just doing it for the sake of doing it. (I do aerospace controls on autopilots).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?