Graduate School Woes: Advices for Computer Engineering Senior

In summary: You can try to get a job doing something controls/AI related, and see what part of if you like. Then go back and get your masters.
asd1249jf
I am currently a senior undergraduate student majoring in Computer Engineering. I initially chose this major to get a grasp on both "software" and "hardware" side of engineering namely, in "Computer Science" and "Electrical Engineering" aspect, which I believed might be handy once I start researching in Robotics extensively.

I'm not sure if it was the ideal choice I made back then, as I think of it now. Our Computer Engineering program has a curriculum that is more closer to Electrical Engineering side (About 65% EE, 35% COSC) hence, I missed out a lot of core computer science courses which is associated with Artificial Intelligence.
(Curriculum : http://wwweng.uwyo.edu/electrical/undergrad/computer.html )

Here is my question. I want to apply to Texas A&M for graduate school, but I don't exactly know what I should do. I mean, I took autocontrol system class to get a grasp on the control system aspect of Robotics, but never in Artificial Intelligence due to my lacking prerequisite. I didn't "really" enjoy the control aspect. I hated doing locus plots, analyzing nyquist plots, those sort of stuff.

I believe that I enjoy more of computer science aspect of my major as of now than the electrical engineering side. Does this mean I should go with a Master degree in Computer Science (Or computer engineering - computer science track)? I'm just afraid that I might not have the corresponding courses I need to take for this.

I'm really confused about my major and all. I'd appreciate it if anyone could provide me some advices.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think it will matter really. Do what you like. Most programs will allow for you to make up for some courses that you may need during graduate work. As long as you have a good background in math/science/engineering, they will know that you can be successful.

Take my uncle for example...BS in math-> MS in computer science -> EE in electrical engineering. All from good schools, and he didn't have any trouble. You might just spend an extra semester or so making up the computer science courses that you need.

l46kok said:
I am currently a senior undergraduate student majoring in Computer Engineering. I initially chose this major to get a grasp on both "software" and "hardware" side of engineering namely, in "Computer Science" and "Electrical Engineering" aspect, which I believed might be handy once I start researching in Robotics extensively.

I'm not sure if it was the ideal choice I made back then, as I think of it now. Our Computer Engineering program has a curriculum that is more closer to Electrical Engineering side (About 65% EE, 35% COSC) hence, I missed out a lot of core computer science courses which is associated with Artificial Intelligence.
(Curriculum : http://wwweng.uwyo.edu/electrical/undergrad/computer.html )

Here is my question. I want to apply to Texas A&M for graduate school, but I don't exactly know what I should do. I mean, I took autocontrol system class to get a grasp on the control system aspect of Robotics, but never in Artificial Intelligence due to my lacking prerequisite. I didn't "really" enjoy the control aspect. I hated doing locus plots, analyzing nyquist plots, those sort of stuff.

I believe that I enjoy more of computer science aspect of my major as of now than the electrical engineering side. Does this mean I should go with a Master degree in Computer Science (Or computer engineering - computer science track)? I'm just afraid that I might not have the corresponding courses I need to take for this.

I'm really confused about my major and all. I'd appreciate it if anyone could provide me some advices.

Thats a red flag. What do you think you're going to be doing as a controls engineer? Exactly what you hate doing in bold.

I think you better determine exactly what you want to do before you apply for a masters anywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cyrus said:
Thats a red flag. What do you think you're going to be doing as a controls engineer? Exactly what you hate doing in bold.

I think you better determine exactly what you want to do before you apply for a masters anywhere.

And that is exactly where I am having issues with. But I guess I can scratch out Control Systems.

Perhaps AI then?

You can try to get a job doing something controls/AI related, and see what part of if you like. Then go back and get your masters.

I will say this, the controls gets more interesting when you do applications and not just doing it for the sake of doing it. (I do aerospace controls on autopilots).

What is graduate school and why is it important?

Graduate school is an advanced academic program that students can pursue after completing their undergraduate studies. It typically involves specialized coursework and research in a specific field of study. Graduate school is important because it allows individuals to gain a deeper understanding and expertise in their chosen field, which can lead to better job opportunities and higher salaries.

What are some common challenges faced by computer engineering seniors in graduate school?

Some common challenges include adjusting to the rigorous coursework, managing time and workload effectively, and balancing academic commitments with personal and professional responsibilities. Additionally, students may also struggle with imposter syndrome, which is the feeling of inadequacy or self-doubt in their abilities.

What advice can you give to computer engineering seniors considering graduate school?

First, carefully research and consider the program you are interested in to ensure it aligns with your academic and career goals. Next, start preparing early by strengthening your technical and research skills, as well as building relationships with professors who can provide strong letters of recommendation. It is also important to maintain a healthy work-life balance and seek support from peers and mentors when needed.

How can computer engineering seniors finance their graduate studies?

There are various options for financing graduate studies, including scholarships, grants, teaching or research assistantships, and student loans. It is important to research and apply for these opportunities early and to carefully consider the financial implications of each option. Additionally, some employers may offer tuition assistance or reimbursement for employees pursuing graduate education.

What are some potential career opportunities for computer engineering graduates with a graduate degree?

Computer engineering graduates with a graduate degree can pursue a variety of career paths, including working as software engineers, computer and information research scientists, data scientists, or professors in academia. They may also have opportunities for advancement and higher salaries in their current industry or field of work. Additionally, a graduate degree can open up opportunities for leadership and management roles.