Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Aerospace Graduate School

1. Jun 7, 2009 #1
    Hi,

I am currently majoring in mechanical engineering and next year after I graduate I plan on going to graduate school to obtain my PhD. My interests are fluid mechanics, heat transfer and applied mathematics. I would really like to go to a school that will prepare me for a career in research involving my interests being applied to space technology and exploration.

I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions about schools and what kind of research can involve my interests and space.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2009 #2
    You need to look into what you want to do. Heat transfer and fluid mechanics are large areas. Look into them and see exactly what you want to do regarding them.

4. Jun 17, 2009 #3
    My advice is to look at the labs associated with the schools you are considering online. Most labs have their own webpage which provides more detailed information on the projects they are currently working on. You can also contact the principal investigator for the lab to see what sort of funding he or she has available for graduate students who are admitted. I was a bit lost when I came to grad school in terms of finding a research focus, but I managed to find something that is both interesting and relevant to current problems in industry (which will hopefully lead to a job post-graduation). Hopefully you will do the same!

Good luck!

5. Jul 17, 2009 #4
    As a student to a fellow student, my suggestions include:

A: find a company that will pay you to go to school
    B: find a school that will pay you to go to school
    C: if you are rich, go to the best school you can, something like MIT

(personally I stayed in state and got a graduate research assistantship, I probably wouldnt be going to school if they didnt want to pay me. It all comes down to the good old greenbacks my friend)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook