• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Graduate School

• Schools
  • Thread starter blinktx411
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Mathematics Graduate School

I have a couple concerns/questions for everyone out there. I REALLY appreciate you reading this thread, even if your replies will be a letdown.

Background: I currently go to Georgia Tech, pursuing my second undergraduate degree in mathematics (first was in civil engineering), and have hopes to go to graduate school in mathematics.

Concerns: 1) I have a lower GPA due to courses that will not count towards my mathematics degree. Basically towards the end of my civil degree, I really became uninterested and got quite a few C's in the engineering classes. My overall GPA is 3.21, but in my upper level mathematics courses it will be around 3.5 to 3.7 when I graduate, higher if one considers the lower level mathematics courses, which brings me to my next concern
2) The lower level mathematics courses I took were at a small school (I transferred into GT). What does this mean to someone looking at my application? Do they count etc.

I don't want to spend the extra money going to school if this is going to factor in so much that I won't get into a graduate program (M.S. or Phd. program). I know everyone cant give me a sure answer on who will accept or reject me, I just want to hear if you think the goal of getting into a graduate program (not necessarily top 15) is unreasonable given the following resume so far:

3.21 overall GPA, but closer to 3.75 GPA on courses listed as required by the mathematics department
3.5 to 3.7 GPA in 3000+ level mathematics courses
1 summer REU, possibly more research with the same professor
2 semesters TA
and I have 3 letters ready.

GRE scores T.B.D.

With the information I've given, what is the best assessment you can give?

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

I got accepted to a M.S. in materials science program with a B.S in Physics and another B.S. in Math with comparable GPAs both over all and for in major course work. You've actually got a leg up on me in that I never did get into an REU program nor did I get any undergraduate research experience and I did all my undergrad work in a state school with a physics department that generally consisted of about 5 physics majors at any one time. My GRE scores weren't particularly stellar either.

My advice is do the best you can on the GREs, write one heck of a personal statement, and keep in close contact with the people running the programs you are applying to.

I got accepted to a M.S. in materials science program with a B.S in Physics and another B.S. in Math with comparable GPAs both over all and for in major course work. You've actually got a leg up on me in that I never did get into an REU program nor did I get any undergraduate research experience and I did all my undergrad work in a state school with a physics department that generally consisted of about 5 physics majors at any one time. My GRE scores weren't particularly stellar either.

My advice is do the best you can on the GREs, write one heck of a personal statement, and keep in close contact with the people running the programs you are applying to.
Thanks for the response! Its very appreciated, as I don't want to waste my time if I have no shot. Anyone else have input?