1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graduate School

1. Jun 19, 2010 #1
    Mathematics Graduate School

I have a couple concerns/questions for everyone out there. I REALLY appreciate you reading this thread, even if your replies will be a letdown.

Background: I currently go to Georgia Tech, pursuing my second undergraduate degree in mathematics (first was in civil engineering), and have hopes to go to graduate school in mathematics.

Concerns: 1) I have a lower GPA due to courses that will not count towards my mathematics degree. Basically towards the end of my civil degree, I really became uninterested and got quite a few C's in the engineering classes. My overall GPA is 3.21, but in my upper level mathematics courses it will be around 3.5 to 3.7 when I graduate, higher if one considers the lower level mathematics courses, which brings me to my next concern
    2) The lower level mathematics courses I took were at a small school (I transferred into GT). What does this mean to someone looking at my application? Do they count etc.

I don't want to spend the extra money going to school if this is going to factor in so much that I won't get into a graduate program (M.S. or Phd. program). I know everyone cant give me a sure answer on who will accept or reject me, I just want to hear if you think the goal of getting into a graduate program (not necessarily top 15) is unreasonable given the following resume so far:

3.21 overall GPA, but closer to 3.75 GPA on courses listed as required by the mathematics department
    3.5 to 3.7 GPA in 3000+ level mathematics courses
    1 summer REU, possibly more research with the same professor
    2 semesters TA
    and I have 3 letters ready.

GRE scores T.B.D.

With the information I've given, what is the best assessment you can give?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2010 #2
    I got accepted to a M.S. in materials science program with a B.S in Physics and another B.S. in Math with comparable GPAs both over all and for in major course work. You've actually got a leg up on me in that I never did get into an REU program nor did I get any undergraduate research experience and I did all my undergrad work in a state school with a physics department that generally consisted of about 5 physics majors at any one time. My GRE scores weren't particularly stellar either.

My advice is do the best you can on the GREs, write one heck of a personal statement, and keep in close contact with the people running the programs you are applying to.

4. Jun 19, 2010 #3
    Thanks for the response! Its very appreciated, as I don't want to waste my time if I have no shot. Anyone else have input?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook